Thread: Dr. Jonathan Sullivan, "The Barbell Prescription Book Tour"

Default It was very special.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I cried.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Meshuggah,

Your pm response has still not appeared. I may be that you are still on my ignore list. Anyway, thanks for reposting it. Your comments are welcome but you do post some nonsense from time to time. I will take your advice under consideration. I will study it.

Now to respond to the question about gains over 4 years. My starting lifts: DL: 175 X 5; Today: 340 x 1 and 315 x 5; Squat (after 6 months of trying with a straight bar we switched to an assistance bar) 80 x 5 x 3; today: 262.5 x 1; 235 x5. The other two lifts are nice but I'm mostly focused on Deads. My ultimate goal for Deads: 405 x 1, 360 x 5; 385 x 3.
    That is outstanding progress, you should be proud of your accomplishments. I'm cheering for you to get that 405, make it happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    When I checked into my hotel in Westminster, I had flowers and a card waiting from Shug.
    I cried.
    Thanks for the acknowledgement, I was starting to think the florist had failed to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Thanks for the acknowledgement, I was starting to think the florist had failed to deliver.
    You two need to get a room, oh wait you did. If Sully cried I guess that means it was special.

Compressing morbidity.
    Your advice pulled me out of morbidity.
    Rolled back decades of limited mobility.
    Your message rang true a year ago when I started. And now, people don't recognize me. That is a good thing. (trust me, I'm 62 now and bought a walker... not sure where it is now)
    You didn't even mention the decline in inflammation intrinsic in having more muscle mass versus fat, the implication in quality of life is obvious. There are so many problems in the elderly worsened by inflammation.
    You are the voice of reason in a crazy world.
    Training is long term program to optimize of performance variables, rest/recovery variables and nutrition variables... to be in better health!!!
    We train to live, we don't live to train.

If you are strong, you are harder to break.
    Someone wise once said that... and it seems to fit here nicely.

You did the work. You reaped the rewards.

You did the work. You reaped the rewards.
    Yet. If it does not conform to the Golden Scrolls put forth by the Chief Imam Simmons in the Holy City of Columbus as a direct revelation from above, it is apostasy and less than worthy.

Anyone who follows any doctrine from the Heretic Rippetoe is fit only for scorn and mockery.

Thus saith the Doctrine of Shug Niggurath as found in the Caprophagicon.

How about them apples allent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Compressing morbidity.
    I've been thinking about this lately. I am 61 and have a co-worker who is 49. We both do field work and carry our stuff in a backpack. Whereas most of the people (including the twenty-somethings) wheel their backpacks to the elevator to get in and out of the office (the one's they give us have wheels), my co-worker and I would always place them on our backs and use the stairs. Up until a month or so, that is. He tweaked his back doing something at his home so now he is convinced that to protect his back he should never use the backpack again. His back is better for now but he has decided it's best to use the wheels and use the elevator (we are only on the 3rd floor). Oh, BTW, he doesn't understand why I lift weights.

I thought, "This is how it happens, that slow decline, backpack to wheels, stairs to elevator, etc." How long before he decides he needs a walker?

I know, I know, I should proselytize the benefits of barbell exercises in general and heavy deadlifts for the back but everyone seems to have an excuse why it won't work for them.
    Last edited by Culican; 04-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I know, I know, I should proselytize the benefits of barbell exercises in general and heavy deadlifts for the back but everyone seems to have an excuse why it won't work for them.
    As seen elsewhere:

The only worthwhile religion is fitness.

If I worship at the temple of swift feet for thirty minutes a day, then I invariably become faster and more robust.
    If I worship at the temple of heavy movements for an hour a day, then I invariably become stronger and more powerful.
    If I worship at the temple of moderate consumption all day, then I invariably become leaner and healthier.
    If I worship at all three of these temples on a regular basis, my form becomes as beautiful as that of the gods.

The gods that occupy these temples confer tangible and demonstrable benefits to those who pursue them.

No other religion can claim this.

starting strength coach development program
    While I don't agree with your conclusion I do agree that there is great benefit in strength training.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast