Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dr. Jonathan Sullivan, "The Barbell Prescription Book Tour"

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately. I am 61 and have a co-worker who is 49. We both do field work and carry our stuff in a backpack. Whereas most of the people (including the twenty-somethings) wheel their backpacks to the elevator to get in and out of the office (the one's they give us have wheels), my co-worker and I would always place them on our backs and use the stairs. Up until a month or so, that is. He tweaked his back doing something at his home so now he is convinced that to protect his back he should never use the backpack again. His back is better for now but he has decided it's best to use the wheels and use the elevator (we are only on the 3rd floor). Oh, BTW, he doesn't understand why I lift weights.

I thought, "This is how it happens, that slow decline, backpack to wheels, stairs to elevator, etc." How long before he decides he needs a walker?

I know, I know, I should proselytize the benefits of barbell exercises in general and heavy deadlifts for the back but everyone seems to have an excuse why it won't work for them.

Admittedly I'm not what anyone would consider "aging," but I'm exactly this way as well. If I'm traveling alone, I always put my stuff in a gym bag and carry it through the airport (funnily enough, usually with a hook grip). I carry my materials and exhibits for a deposition in a box. I take the stairs when they're available. I walk anywhere within a mile unless there's a really good reason not to. I don't own a snowblower even though we routinely get several feet of snow each year.

I plan to do all this as long as I feasibly can. I don't do easy, because life isn't easy, and because I actually like physical work. As Sully has said many times, the body adapts to complacency just as well as it does to stress (I would say the mind does as well)...and the end result is not a positive one. So I'll keep getting weird stares and questions of "why do you want to do THAT!?" when I'm doing heavy (relative) squats and deadlifts in my gyms full of runners and swimmers. It may not look like much of a difference now, but when I'm still slugging shit around as a grandfather, I'll be happy I never settled for easy.

Nice edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    You did the work. You reaped the rewards.
    Rewards yes. All Mine!

But the Glory goes to Rip & Sully!
    Pushing this program out there was a lot of going against the flow.

All we can do in return is be a friend of the program and help who we can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I don't own a snowblower even though we routinely get several feet of snow each year.
    I admire your dedication, but I still have (and use) a snowblower. It's the difference between clearing the driveway in an hour versus ~10 minutes, and since it has to be done usually at a time not convenient to me, instead of when I can fit it in.

I like the rest of the post, though

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Compressing morbidity.
    I also appreciate what strength training offers in this area.

I discovered SS and started working out just about two years ago, just after we lost my father-in-law. He never lifted weights, but he was incredibly active, and always stayed in great shape. He was as active as ever, until about 8 months before he passed (at the age of 87), and that's with over 20 years of being a heart patient, having a pacemaker, taking blood thinners, etc. He just never stopped staying active and engaged.

Heard about Rip and SS a few months before he passed, and started lifting just a short time later. The benefits are tremendous.

Best of luck with the book. I'll be picking up a copy shortly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345