starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing The Program as written in your mid-forties

Default Doing The Program as written in your mid-forties

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 46. Did any of you guys do the SSLP at around this age? I want to do it exactly as written but am wondering if there are adjustments I need to make due to my age. Any helpful advice will be welcome.

Yep, I did. It works just fine as written, but you'll transition to intermediate programming earlier than a younger man would.

Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    Yep, I did. It works just fine as written, but you'll transition to intermediate programming earlier than a younger man would.
    How long did it take you? How did you know you had reached the end of LP early?

I did the program as written at age 46 back in 2014. I made it 16 weeks then quit due to life issues. I was close to the end of LP on the squat, deadlift and press but, the bench was still going well.

In February of this year, at the age of 49, I started the program again. Monday will be the start of my 10th week. No stalls yet!

I'd be happy to share my experiences if you have questions. I'm enjoying this stuff and excited about the progress. I always look forward to the next workout!

^This. Also, cleans become optional at age 46 (do 'em if you can, chuck 'em if you can't), and the usual interventions to string out the LP (light squat day, resets, etc) won't pay off as well as for a younger athlete.

But even a lot of people in their sixties can start with the raw novice LP, ABA template.

^This. Also, cleans become optional at age 46 (do 'em if you can, chuck 'em if you can't), and the usual interventions to string out the LP (light squat day, resets, etc) won't pay off as well as for a younger athlete.

But even a lot of people in their sixties can start with the raw novice LP, ABA template.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post

Quite so says the 70 year old.

Started at 46 on a kinda-sorta LP, went at it again after heat surgery, took about five months to run it out.

I started SS LP last year at 44. I kept the power clean. (I am relatively fit, but not strong. I swam 3 times a week.) No modification was needed in the first month or two. The difficulty came from learning the correct forms without a coach, particularly the squat.

I have since transitioned to one-on-two-off and then HLM. You will know you need to transition when you can no longer recover session to session. That said, my transition was messy, not without frustration, because you don't suddenly wake up one day knowing LP has ended.

p.s. I have problem with my cleans. But that's a different story.

starting strength coach development program
    Did SSLP for the first time in 2008 at 48 years old. Went linear from bare bar to 305x5x3 squat (maybe one or two small resets), and increased bodyweight
    from under 170 to 205, in about 14 weeks. I say about 14 weeks as I was fooling around with Crossfit for a few weeks before
    I started SS and early in the transition I was trying to do CF and SS, don't do that.
    Also, attended one of Rip's seminars early in the process, this was back when Rip was still associated with CF, great move,
    got taught to do the lifts correctly before I had fully ingrained bad habits. Get SS coaching as soon as you can, even if you feel your lifts
    are too light to matter.

You'll know when the novice phase is about played out-everything hurts, lifting sucks, it's all you think about, and the lifts are brutal.
    When that happens do not do Texas Method, find a coach to help with programming, it's the best money you can spend for training.
    First time through novice phase is great fun, enjoy it, and best of luck with your lifting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast