starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linear progression on SS Program?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Adding to the pile-on, I've found six minutes works pretty well on everything but deadlifts, where I go with seven minutes if I'm doing multiple sets (like 2x3, etc). I'm not above taking my time to get set up for heavy fives, mind.

AP. if you are still in a linear progression program, you may have reached the point where you have to begin a 5-3-1 or Texas program. LP does not go on forever. Just a thought, not a sermon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I usually rest 5 minutes. According to the article ATP should be 95% restored at 5. At 6 minutes you're between 95 and 100%. If you were competing you'd want 100%. If you wanted absolute maximum results, you'd want 100%. For a soon to be 67 yo geezer 95% seems ok for me.
    Most processes in the body that require an input of energy of which restoring ATP is one, slow down as one ages. I would be willing to bet that if it is 95% at 5 minutes for a twenty year old it will be a significantly smaller percentage for a 60 year old. So it is probably highly likely that more than 5 minutes would be helpful.

I'm not so scientific about rest time anymore. Deadlifts take more rest than squats which take more than bench and overhead press. I lift the weight, huff and puff as I walk to my home office, where I sit reading the forum, doing some simple job tasks, or playing spider solitaire until my inner voice says "quit being a pussy and get back in there!". This usually ranges from 5-12 minutes. Sometimes that voice says nice things too, but in each case my muscles start to feel antsy about the same time. When I go back too soon, I'll struggle needlessly or even miss. As Rip says, this is not a conditioning program, it's a strength program. You rest as long as it takes to complete the lift.
    Last edited by Bestafter60; 04-30-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    I'm not so scientific about rest time anymore. Deadlifts take more rest than squats which take more than bench and overhead press. I lift the weight, huff and puff as I walk to my home office, where I sit reading the forum, doing some simple job tasks, or playing spider solitaire until my inner voice says "quit being a pussy and get back in there!". This usually ranges from 5-12 minutes. Sometimes that voice says nice things too, but in each case my muscles start to feel antsy about the same time. When I go back too soon, I'll struggle needlessly or even miss. As Rip says, this is not a conditioning program, it's a strength program. You rest as long as it takes to complete the lift.
    I have a hard time calling that serious training, but good luck with it.

Read the recent post about my results.
    What does a real "serious" lifter do that is superior to waiting until you know you're ready, and why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    Read the recent post about my results.
    What does a real "serious" lifter do that is superior to waiting until you know you're ready, and why does it matter?
    A serious lifter stamps around the gym going "YEAH! YEAH!!" and doing curls until he is enraged enough to go into battle against the weights and destroy another set LIKE A BOSS!!

It matters because you can then tell other people that their training can't be called serious.

When I'm resting my 8 minutes between work sets I'll either read the news on my Ipad or often step back into the house and do chores. I can get a lot done around the house while working out!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    A serious lifter stamps around the gym going "YEAH! YEAH!!" and doing curls until he is enraged enough to go into battle against the weights and destroy another set LIKE A BOSS!!

It matters because you can then tell other people that their training can't be called serious.
    Thanks Chris, this completely clarifies the matter. I want SERIOUS GAINZZZ!!!! so I'm going to add punching through sheetrock walls and tearing phone books too, because, you know, HELL YEAH!!!

starting strength coach development program
    I'm somewhere in the middle of rest and seriousness. So 5 minutes is the absolute limit of my patience between sets and I manage to "attack" my reps without resorting to nose tork or excessively heavy huffing.

Otherwise I might discommode the youngsters around me. It's all about being a responsible senior citizen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast