starting strength gym

Thread: Programming question

Smile Programming question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys. I started out in February with the SS program and very light weights. I have several injuries; rotator cuff repair, rotator cuff tear, s/p two total hips and had been practically living in a La-Z-boy for a dozen years, so I started off slowly. Veeeery slowly.... I had had experienced DOMS in the past that was bad enough that I would stop doing anything for months. This time I wanted to avoid that. So I started out with very light weights and added 1/2# or 1# per workout for a few weeks. A month or so went by and I was able to get through the range of motion with good form, a little bit of weight and no pain, so I kept adding weight. After a while, I got enough weight on the bar that the workout was hard. Not painful, but really hard for me.
    Still working on getting into the squat position, but I am leg pressing 250 pounds, deadlifting 145 pounds and benching 75 pounds. For me those are HUGE numbers.
    After a couple of weeks of that, I realized that I was just whupped all the time and dreading going to the gym, so I cut back on my scheduling and worked out a schedule where I do each lift only once a week (squat, deadlift, bench) with lots of warmup and mobility/flexibility work. On my "off" days, I walk for about an hour, which I need assistance to do - cane or lawnmower or something to lean on.
    This schedule seems to be working, as I am increasing my weight a little bit each workout, and I am not exhausted and cranky in between. I suppose it is self-evident, but I just wanted to check with you about my concern that only lifting once a week is going to keep me improving. Thus far it seems to be working, but I have been conditioned to believe in "more in better" for so long that it seems like I might be missing something.
    My TDEE for this amount of activity is about 2400 kcal. As I am very overweight, I am only taking in about 1900-2000 and losing 1/2-1 pound per week. I am also getting 120-150 grams of protein per day.
    Any questions/comments appreciated.
    Last edited by Outstanding; 05-17-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo

This sounds like fantastic progress to me. How old are you?

You might be able to switch to 2x/week when you aren't cutting weight, as you'll get better recovery when you aren't restricting calories so much.

I also struggle with my urge to push too hard, too often. Recently cut back from 3x to 2x per week, as various chronic aches and pains were getting steadily worse rather than better.

Thanks cwd. I'm 59 years old and female. I started with the three day a week schedule, and it was pretty easy when I was only lifting 45 pounds.
    With all of my past injuries/surgeries I am afraid of re-injuring something and being sidelined. It's extremely hard for me to get motivated again once I get hurt or have surgery.
    With more strength and less body weight, I think I will get more confident over the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Thanks cwd. I'm 59 years old and female. I started with the three day a week schedule, and it was pretty easy when I was only lifting 45 pounds.
    With all of my past injuries/surgeries I am afraid of re-injuring something and being sidelined. It's extremely hard for me to get motivated again once I get hurt or have surgery.
    With more strength and less body weight, I think I will get more confident over the next year or so.
    Have you tried taking a pre-workout drink to help? Also, are you hydrating enough to help with the DOMS? I have found loading with creatine also helps, as it makes me pee like a race horse post workout (aside from the normal benefits of creatine), which I think is helping flush things out a bit (resulting is less DOMS, and just the standard soreness from pushing myself).
    Last edited by MarinePMI; 05-17-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    I hear you. My biggest failure mode is to push too hard, get hurt, then discouraged, and quit for a while. It's much better to cut back but keep lifting.

One thing that helps me is to track "sessions completed vs. sessions skipped this year" in my online log.
    My goal is just to hit 100+ sessions completed in 2017 and less than 10% skipped. I'm up to 45 and 2 skips so far.

starting strength coach development program
    You are achieving your goals of getting stronger. And losing weight. I would continue e doing exactly what you are doing until it stops working.