starting strength gym

Thread: Bone Density DEXA scan interpretation

Default Bone Density DEXA scan interpretation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been taking a medication for 10 months, which may lower bone density. When I questioned him on this, the prescribing NP did not seem concerned at all. I mentioned that another man I know of the same age (61yo) who goes to the same office and he was told by the doctor (the actual MD who runs the practice) that he was reluctant to prescribe this medicine for older men due to the possibility of bone loss, although he did prescribe it in the end. (The medicine is totally optional for both of us.) When I pressed the NP on this, he ordered a DEXA scan.

The results came back today and in typical, terse, medical fashion I received a message via the patient portal, "Attached is your bone scan which came back within normal range. Radiologist recommends that we repeat this in 2 years." I get the feeling he doesn't really even know what the scores mean.

Here is the report:
    Based on World Health Organization (WHO) criteria, this patient falls within the range of normal.
    LEFT HIP
    Neck: The patient's bone mineral density is 1408 (mg/cm2) with a T-score of 2.6.
    Total: The patient's bone mineral density is 1217 (mg/cm2) with a T-score of 0.8.

LUMBAR SPINE:
    The patient's bone mineral density is 1.516 (g/cm2) with a T-score of 2.5

From my understanding the T-score is a comparison to a 30yo male and is the number of standard deviations +or- from this value.

A score of -1 to -2.5 would indicate osteopenia (low bone mass) and a score of -2.5 or lower would indicate osteoporosis. All of my scores are in the + range.

As all of my T-scores are greater than that of a 30yo it would seem to prove the value of weight training. Or am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Culican; 05-22-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I have been taking a medication for 10 months, which may lower bone density. When I questioned him on this, the prescribing NP did not seem concerned at all. I mentioned that another man I know of the same age (61yo) who goes to the same office and he was told by the doctor (the actual MD who runs the practice) that he was reticent to prescribe this medicine for older men due to the possibility of bone loss, although he did prescribe it in the end. (The medicine is totally optional for both of us.) When I pressed the NP on this, he ordered a DEXA scan.

The results came back today and in typical, terse, medical fashion I received a message via the patient portal, "Attached is your bone scan which came back within normal range. Radiologist recommends that we repeat this in 2 years." I get the feeling he doesn't really even know what the scores mean.

Here is the report:
    Based on World Health Organization (WHO) criteria, this patient falls within the range of normal.
    LEFT HIP
    Neck: The patient's bone mineral density is 1408 (mg/cm2) with a T-score of 2.6.
    Total: The patient's bone mineral density is 1217 (mg/cm2) with a T-score of 0.8.

LUMBAR SPINE:
    The patient's bone mineral density is 1.516 (g/cm2) with a T-score of 2.5

From my understanding the T-score is a comparison to a 30yo male and is the number of standard deviations +or- from this value.

As all of my T-scores are greater than that of a 30yo it would seem to prove the value of weight training. Or am I missing something here?

webMd:

For the results of your scan, you’ll get a T-score. It shows how much higher or lower your bone density is than that of a healthy 30-year-old, the age when bones are at their strongest. The lower your score, the weaker your bones are:
    T-score of -1.0 or above = normal bone density

T-score between -1.0 and -2.5 = low bone density, or osteopenia
    T-score of -2.5 or lower = osteoporosis
    if those numbers is your result were "+" . . .I'd say pretty good.

your mg/cm2 densities are high also

This graph shows how the bone density of the total hip decreases with age. The units are standardized bone density in (mg/cm2). The lines show the average values, and for each age, race and gender a range of values occurs in the ordinary population
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

if those numbers is your result were "+" . . .I'd say pretty good.

your mg/cm2 densities are high also
    Yes, they were a "+", must be the squats and deadlifts.