starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight & Recovery

Default Losing Weight & Recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've posted only a few times but I really could use some advice from the group here.

A little background on me. Currently I am 49, 5' 8.5", 172 lbs. I started training in September of last year when I was at 213 lbs. and above 30% BF. I'm currently about 25% and continuing to go down. I started on the Novice Progression in January and my lifts have gone up but I have stalled a time or 2 and have made adjustments (IE: 2 lb increase on the bench & 1 lb increase on the Press). I've stalled more on the squat than any other of the lifts. I've had to reset several times due to either fatigue, form issues, or joint discomfort/IT band issues.

My current lifts are:
    Squat 240 3x3
    Deadlift 295 1x5
    Bench 153 3x5
    Press 105 3x5

I've gotten help with my Nutrition from Barbell Medicine and that has helped me to continue to stay fairly steady on lifts while still losing weight.

My issue is now I'm really starting to struggle on increasing the lifts. My ultimate goal is to gain muscle as I have always been skinny fat guy but I'm not sure at what point to stop losing weight. My lifts are suffering and I feel on the current path I am on I don't have much further to go.

Looking for feedback on where to go from here. Should I continue to lose more weight to get my BF down to a lower level? Should I consider going off the caloric deficit I have been on?

Older guy with no clue.

Just a quick (kind of a) math question.... if you were 213# and 30% BF, how can you now be 172# and 25% BF? From your height (5' 8.5"), I would say 172 is kind of the bottom end of where your weight should be. At this point, eat more, and let the weight come back up, but lean instead of fat. Sounds like you have already cleaned up your diet, so keep eating whatever it is you're eating, just a lot more of it!

And kudos on the work already done, sounds like you've made a lot of progress

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Just a quick (kind of a) math question.... if you were 213# and 30% BF, how can you now be 172# and 25% BF? From your height (5' 8.5"), I would say 172 is kind of the bottom end of where your weight should be. At this point, eat more, and let the weight come back up, but lean instead of fat. Sounds like you have already cleaned up your diet, so keep eating whatever it is you're eating, just a lot more of it!

And kudos on the work already done, sounds like you've made a lot of progress
    I should have said I was well over 30% BF. I should have been more clear on that but I honestly didn't even take measurements at that point.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

That's fine, but still, at 5' 8.5" and 172#, 25% BF just doesn't sound right at all. Just start eating more, and that will aid recovery.

First it goes without saying that you read (or reread) this.
    The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

So from what you say, considering this article there are a few things:
    - Eating enough. (have some protein immediately after lifting to aid recovery as well)
    - Rest between sets (how long, probably should be close to 10 min with those lifts/body weight)
    - Micro loading may help
    - AGE, you're on the cusp of going to 2 workouts a week from three due to lower recovery rate

I'd say you're doing great. But it sounds like you may have grown in muscle mass out of your diet.

I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

- I've been on a caloric deficit for months, mainly on carbs and fats. Proteins average 200 for the week.
    - I've been resting probably for about 6 minutes in between. I suppose it is time to move to 10 minutes now.
    - I micro load on the bench and press and I suppose it may be necessary on the other lifts very shortly if not now.
    - The workouts per week is something I've been unsure of when to switch. I've read BBPrx but since I've been good most of the way on 3 days I've seen no need to change. That may not be the case going forward but we'll see.

I'd slowly increase calories (carbs and fat) and keep your training at 3x a week. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    I'd slowly increase calories (carbs and fat) and keep your training at 3x a week. :-)
    Thanks as always for the advice Leah.

Having lost 54 pounds and a bunch of strength to go with it last year, here what I am doing to get it back.

1. Eat to maintain current weight. Been within 5 pounds up or down for a few months.

2. Switched to Andy Baker's strength and mass after 40 program. Further modified that to an every other day program to allow tons of recovery time while maintaining as much volume as possible..

Haven't measured body fat, but maintaining the current weight, am wearing clothes that were too tight several months ago, and poked several holes in belts. The GF, family and friends all notice a positive difference.

Also use creatine everyday and supplement with a protein powder.

Just starting to hit and/or exceed previous Pr's.

Your mileage may vary.

starting strength coach development program
    Just by way of comparison, I am about the same height as you, 5'9" and at 188 lbs I was about 15% body fat. I use a digital bodyfat scale, and we all know those are a couple of percentages off, but I'm wondering how you're coming up with your body fat calculations? I am now 203 lbs and still only about 17% body fat. I have a little chub going on, but nothing serious.

I honestly think you need to eat more. Your fatigue and soreness seem like lack of calories. Are you doing any supplementation with protein powders or taking creatine? At 200 lbs you could be under 20% body fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast