starting strength gym

Thread: intro

Default intro

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Made several posts/replies this w/e ... without introducing myself to the forum. Have been flamed pretty badly on other forums though ... I did read the damn sticky!

55 YO, currently at 217 ... San Jose, CA

Found Starting Strength indirectly by following Naseem Taleb (author, agitator, deadlift enthusiast).

Never lifted in my life or did much exercise of any kind. Did do a 12 week HIIT program (MaxWorkouts) prior to getting into lifting ... enjoyed that but did notice i wasn't getting stronger.

Started with a variation of the Novice LP in Feb 2016, focusing mainly on DL and OP because my gym at work didn't have a squat rack and i workout alone. Made pretty crazy progress on DL ... up to 355#s like that but was overdoing with horrible form as it turns out. Was deadlifting 3x per week and got a pretty unpleasant back injury in April 2016 ... based on the feeling, I thought for sure I had lost a few inches of height ... but physical therapy took care of things nicely and i eased back in in November.

Restarted with the recommended program including working in power clean ... squat 3x per week (using rack at another gym), alternating bp and op, dl 1x wk ... made decent progress but my torn rotator cuff was a problem and would affect all lifts after the squat.

Was dabbling around trying to find my own adjustments and picked up Barbell Prescription and noticed the 1 lift a day intermediate program which i am now doing ... and so far am happy with it. It definitely has eliminated any of the rotator cuff issues i've had and also is a reasonable amount of time in the gym.

Currently at
    BP 180x6 (adding 2#s per week)
    SQ 245x6 (+2.5/wk)
    OP 128.5 x 2 (about to reset but at 1.5/wk)
    DL 315x6 (+5/wk)

Form still iffy ... tough avoiding lumbar flexion in both DL and SQ ... my hamstrings are really tight and i'm hoping some stretching will fix that.

Goal as I mentioned in a reply is to hit 1000 for BP + SQ + DL ... not sure that is reachable.

Wellcome, take care and read the chapter about DL in the SSBBT book, the blue one, there are also instructive videos on the SS webbsite and check your back form, looks like you are rounding your back to much.

1000+ is totally reachable with a solid program and good, consistent form. Lucky for you Leah Lutz, SSC is right in your town. Nothing right now can help you more than solid coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    1000+ is totally reachable with a solid program and good, consistent form. Lucky for you Leah Lutz, SSC is right in your town. Nothing right now can help you more than solid coaching.
    Amen to that!

Welcome. How tall are you? You don't seem to be following any particular program. Have you actually read the Starting Strength book? I hope you get some coaching.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. How tall are you? You don't seem to be following any particular program. Have you actually read the Starting Strength book? I hope you get some coaching.
    Thanks
    6'2"
    1 lift a day (it's described in the barbell prescription under alternative intermediate programs) - blessed by andy ... M, T, Th, F: BP, SQ, OP, DL ... start at 6 reps, increase intensity each week even if reps drop, reset when reps drop to 2

I'm conservatively increasing each week: BP, SQ, OP, DL : 2#s, 2.5, 1.5, 5

After 12 weeks haven't reset anything but OP getting close ... several weeks with 2 reps, just did 3x128.5

was doing conventional novice program for 18 weeks but rotator cuff made things unpleasant

have 3 books
    Gonna try to get up to Oakland soon if they'll have me

wrt to lumbar flexion which is an obvious flaw (not a lack of awareness), i can do the maneuver described in SS to see if i can control my lower back ... pretty sure i need to work on loosening up my hamstrings