starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intro and novice progression question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    +1 for microloading on pressing movements (smaller muscles = smaller increases)

+1 for sets of 3 (not only sanctioned but encouraged for women)

+1 for losing the gloves (small hands do not need the extra work trying to grip a bar made wider by the extra fabric)

Congratulations on starting lifting at age 60. My wife started 5 years ago at age 56. She LOVES being strong. All the advice given here is right on target. Do a reset and work back up a pound at a time on the press and bench. Also, at some point you should move to just two workouts per week. Once the weights get relatively heavy (for your size, age, sex) 3 times a week will lead to overtraining. Also my wife moved to 3 sets of 3, instead of 5 sets of 3 as the weight got heavier. Us older folks can't take the volume that the youngsters can.

I haven't bought micro-plates but I do carry 4 1-lb baseball warm-up weights in my gym bag. These are easy to find at any sporting good supply shop, and fit perfectly on a standard barbell. With these I can go up by 1 or 2 pound increments on my press or bench press (110, 112, 114, 115, 117 etc).

With the grip for deadlift, it's been one of my weaker parts too. A few things that have helped me:
    * Farmer's Walk (pick up the heaviest dumbbells you think you can manage and walk for a minute or so).
    * Make sure to do some warm-ups at lower weights, and use a standard overhand grip as much as possible.
    * On my working set, I use the mixed grip (one hand over and one hand reversed). Careful with this one, for some people it'll mess up your form. I haven't tried a hook grip.
    Last edited by Prunesquallor; 07-10-2017 at 10:43 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Started at 69 a year ago so still a novice. Suggest reading Starting Strength. Next, be safe on the bench press especially and look at the recent SS article on the subject, as a bench press gone wrong can be fatal. Set up with bench inside rack and pins set to a safe height above your chest if you do not have a competent spotter. You may want to follow SS on FB, as articles are very helpful. You may also want to get the SS app for your mobile device. It has the proper sequence of lifts, sets and reps and tracks progress. My trainer advocates small increments of increased weight, as do many replies to your post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12