starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intro and novice progression question

Default intro and novice progression question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, all. I have a question about hitting a wall on overhead press and bench press. Basic info: Age - 60. Female. Weigh 115 - 5' 4.5"
    I got under the bar in early 2017 after reading Barbell Prescription and Starting Strength. I'm hooked.
    My squat started at 45 lbs and I'm now up to 80 lbs. I continue to make progress.
    Same with deadlift - I started at 65 lbs and I'm now up to 135 lbs. Continuing to make progress here, too, although my grip strength is holding me back a bit (despite using lifting gloves).
    The overhead press has gone from 30 to 45 and I'm stuck there. The bench press has gone from 45 to 60 and I'm stuck there.
    That is .... I cannot bang out 3 sets of 5 reps. I've been stuck for 4 to 6 weeks on these two.
    On the overhead lift, after warming up with the empty bar, I can usually get two sets in, but fail to do 5 reps in the last set.
    On the bench press, I get four reps in and fail on the last rep .... for every set. I had one of my sons come to the gym to spot me because I thought I was just being a wimp on the last rep....fearful of dropping in on my neck. But, even though I felt free to go for that last rep with the added assurance of the spotting....nope.

I have the Practical Programming book, too, although it isn't geared toward older beginners.
    So, I'm not sure if I should do fewer reps and more sets?
    Is it possible that I'll never be able to go heavier on these two basic lifts?

Thanks, all.

Ro

First, my congratulations that you're lifting. Keep up the great work!

Your bench and press numbers are both divisible by five, which leads me to think that you're not microloading. Five pound jumps are too ambitious on the bench and press, and will quickly get you stuck. You need to get a set of micro plates and bring them with you to the gym. My mother has been lifting for about a year and a half and has progressed to 5x49 on press, but she's been microloading for most of that progression.

I did not even know such a thing existed - micro plates. They are on my shopping list now! Thx!

There are a few companies who make micro plates and Rogue makes a great set.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fractional-plates-lbs

Wright Equipment also makes a set that I personally have been using and they are a bit less expensive.

https://wright-equipment.com/collect...ctional-plates

Good luck with your lifts, I to have had to micro load as 5lb increments in the press and bench press eventually end up being to much.
    Last edited by Tim Reese; 06-26-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoLaberee View Post
    Same with deadlift - I started at 65 lbs and I'm now up to 135 lbs. Continuing to make progress here, too, although my grip strength is holding me back a bit (despite using lifting gloves).
    Congrats on your progress so far! No osteoporosis for you.

Gloves make your grip worse, not better. Try chalking your hands (to prevent slippery sweat) and no gloves when deadlifting.

You could also switch to 5 sets of 3 reps for bench/press. If you're using a double overhand grip on your deadlift, along with using chalk and ditching the gloves, you could try a mixed or hook grip for your work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    You could also switch to 5 sets of 3 reps for bench/press.
    This^ - Lose the gloves too!

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    This^ - Lose the gloves too!
    Wow -- lose the gloves? That scares me but I will definitely try. My hands do ache on my recovery days so I got the gloves thinking they'd help. These aches and pains I figure this just come with the territory and it's not a big deal.
    My gym doesn't have chalk but I guess I can bring my own. Getting my microplates today.

I often end up doing 5 sets of 3 reps each, so it's good to know that's a "sanctioned" option :c)

Thanks for the tips, all!

~ro

starting strength coach development program
    Good work. My wife is 70 and finds herself a bit stuck at 150 for Dead; Bench at 55; and 40 on OHP after 3 years. She had osteoporosis but after a year of lifting the osteoporosis is gone. She continues to struggle with the squat. Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast