starting strength gym

Thread: Knees or the lack of

Default Knees or the lack of

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hope the following helps some of you geezers.
    Began lifting in apr '14. Pitiful amounts. I was 70, 6' wt 185, body fat 38%. By Dec '15 squat was at 205 for 3X5 deadlift was 252 for 1X5. After reaching 205 sqt I tried 1 X 20s. Began at 145 and worked it up to 175. Enjoyed it. Circumference of thigh increased by 1" during that 8 wks!
    Had a total knee replacement apr '16. That'll slow one down. By nov '16 had the sqt up to 170 3X5 and deadlift at 200 1X5. (The prosthetic will only bend to 127 deg. The therapists got me up to 125 deg which means my full sqt isn't quite deep enough but it is the max my knee will bend.) Pain got too great in the new knee so dropped back to 1X20 at 100. Worked well till I reached 150. Dlft never got over 200. Looks like it never will as the pain always kicks in. That's ok time to concentrate on OHP and bench.
    Based on recommendations from the surgeon and phy therapist I ride a bicycle regularly. Back to walking the golf course again.
    Currently at 190 lbs and 20% body fat so don't let anyone tell you an old timer can't build muscle. I work out 3 days a week about an hour per. Besides the big four I also do chins dips and pull-ups none of which I could do in the beginning and occasional 1 arm rows.
    Don't let a new knee stop you.

Inspiring!

Inspiring!
    I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
    ....Don't let a new knee stop you.
    Agreed. I hung around this little corner of the internet a few years ago, running the SS LP and figuring that I was on borrowed time with my left knee which had no meniscal cartilage due to old injuries. Finally in Aug. of 2013, it ceased to function as a knee and I had it replaced that Oct. at the tender age of 51.

The detraining discouraged me and I drifted away. Like millions of others, I decided to lose weight by severely restricting my calories and grinding away on the elliptical. It worked, but I got skinny-fat (of course) and weak, and I decided to get back into strength training. There's not a lot of info out there about the path we've chosen to follow, so you just have to feel your way through it.

If anything, I've fared even better than you. My knee doesn't bother me at all. My days of jumping while holding a relatively heavy weight are over so I subbed rows for cleans but besides that I'm DTP and my numbers just keep going up. I figure that I was impaired due to my wrecked knee and I had it replaced so that I could do the things I want to do. If I have to eventually have the UHMW polyethylene insert replaced, so be it. Heck, maybe I'll have some other stuff replaced as well.

Sorry for the hijack, but I never felt like starting my own thread about this. Keep up the good work.