starting strength gym

Thread: Geezer Diet and Transition to Intermediate Training

Default Geezer Diet and Transition to Intermediate Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there any point to trying to transition to intermediate training at the same time I try to lose some weight?

I've been doing a novice progression for about ten months now, moving intentionally slowly, but making good progress. Right now, my squat is at 345 (5 x 3), deadlift at 355 (5 x 1), Bench 205 (5 x 3), Press 125 (5 x 3) and PC 115 (3 x 5). I'm resetting on Bench and Press after stalls, but my squat, deadlift, and PC are still progressing. PC is low because I started low and I only deadlift and PC every other week.

About six weeks ago, I got tired of being fat, and I started a ketogenic diet. I went from 212 to 197 now. Right now I seem to lose about two pounds per week without much trouble. I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to be able to make progress while on a diet, so my lifts kept going up. Now I'm pretty sure I'm approaching the end of my novice progression. The diet probably isn't helping me, but about nine years ago I did SS and stalled out at about 375 (5 x 3) on squats and 245 (5 x 3) on bench, so I'm already within 10 to 20 percent of what I was doing then (except PC).

I will keep working on linear progress, but I don't expect it to last much longer on most of my lifts. On the other hand, I also want to lose some more weight. My current goal is 181. When I reach that point, I'll see if I want to lose more.

Is there any way I can make progress on an intermediate program like Texas Method while continuing to lose weight? Or should I just continue doing my current program wherever I stall to maintain my strength until I am prepared to gain some fat again?

BTW, I've been lurking for a while, but it is only now that I've embraced my geezerhood to post on the "Elderly" forum.

Man, you seem to be in a sweet spot of continuing gains while on a cut. It's uncommon but I've heard of it before. My suggestion is to keep rolling with what you're doing, it's not broken - don't fix it yet. Re: TM, if done as written a young stud in his twenties will get hammered. He'll have great gains but will be beat into the ground. It is a bitch and that kind of volume is rarely indicated for an older lifter. Look up some of the HLM templates. I had good luck with them in my mid-fifties. Cheers.

I eat a ketogenic diet due to blood sugar issues. I'm still getting stronger and I've also started intermittent fasting (no eating from 7PM to 11AM.) That has helped with my blood sugars as well and I'm still gaining in strength albeit very slowly.

Look forward to following along. I've eaten a few keto diets including the Ketogains approach and even zero carb (carnivore). I was not lifting at the time and can't comment on the challenge of getting stronger while on them.

Sounds like you're doing great. I am VERY interested, being 269, which is not my best look. Just finished Good Calories, Bad Calories - Taubes.

Have had luck on on Atkins in the past.

Go get em! Leave us a bread crumb trail... you can't eat that anyway.

Two really good books on this topic: Keto Clarity and Cholesterol Clarity

The big challenge I've had is eating enough fat to actually be in ketosis. I've also been supplementing with leucine.

http://a.co/2zMgw5s

http://a.co/fxWJolI

If you're already stretching out LP, switching to standard Texas Method will kill you. I'd suggest the post-novice "page 233" program as your next step (with similar modifications to what you've already made). I made that path work for a long time and it should be a lot friendlier to a cut than TM or other usual intermediate programs.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and encouragement. I'll take a look at HLM and the post novice programs in PPST. I'm going to be in Texas next month, so I'm in the process of arranging to stop by Wichita Falls for a coaching session. My original plan was to work on my form, but I figure it is also a good chance to talk about some programming.

starting strength coach development program
    I did the same thing a few years ago. While losing a little weight, I tried Texas method and failed, went back to 3x5 and failed. I settled on 5/3/1 which worked pretty well.