starting strength gym

Thread: Interesting Observation

Cool Interesting Observation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I work out in my garage where I can stare at all my toys to keep me motivated. I managed to drop my lifting shoes in a bucket of used motor oil. So, I started lifting in my bare feet until I could get some new shoes. It took me awhile to get the new shoes. When I use them now I don't feel right. They're good shoes according to the online reviews.Solid sole and 3/4 heel. I much prefer lifting in bare feet now. I feel so planted and solid now that I don't want to go back to shoes. Is that weird or what? With the flat feet my balance feels much better whether its squats or deadlifts or presses.

Most people here will tell you you aren't doing it right and you need the support of a good weightlifting shoe. Not me - for me, lifting is very much a mental thing and, if you feel better lifting barefoot and your form is good, you should continue to do so. I have expensive lifting shoes ( do-wins) that I seldom use - I feel more comfortable in Chucks. ( I am probably wrong on this ....)

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Most people here will tell you you aren't doing it right and you need the support of a good weightlifting shoe. Not me - for me, lifting is very much a mental thing and, if you feel better lifting barefoot and your form is good, you should continue to do so. I have expensive lifting shoes ( do-wins) that I seldom use - I feel more comfortable in Chucks. ( I am probably wrong on this ....)
    Nope, you are right. Most people here have never tried anything different from what they have been told. Weightlifting shoes are not the best for everyone.
    I have a pair of Adidas Adipowers that do nothing but collect dust. All of my lifting is done in flat soled shoes: Vans, Chucks, and Reebok Power Shoes.
    These old worn out Vans are my main PR Shoes...

Last edited by Meshuggah; 07-20-2017 at 07:45 AM.

I've gone back and forth, and strongly prefer lifting in my old Do-Wins, even for deads.

I wonder if there's any correlation between body proportions and shoe/heel preference. I have long arms & torso, with short femurs so I'm relatively upright when squatting and deadlifting.

I started off with Chucks, didn't care for them too much. Got some Do-Wins, and love the things for squats and press. I prefer deadlifting in socks, otherwise it feels like a minor deficit deadlift.

I was afraid you were going to say that the oil soaked shoes provided the best lifting experience yet ....

Quote Originally Posted by gnk View Post
    I was afraid you were going to say that the oil soaked shoes provided the best lifting experience yet ....
    Yeah, this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I've gone back and forth, and strongly prefer lifting in my old Do-Wins, even for deads.

I wonder if there's any correlation between body proportions and shoe/heel preference. I have long arms & torso, with short femurs so I'm relatively upright when squatting and deadlifting.
    Another consideration is foot issues. I was born with completely flat feet, with the ankle caving inward on both sides. I NEED shoes with good support. So, for me, it's lifting shoes, all the time. Well, I can skip 'em for bench, of course

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post

I have long femurs, a short torso with chimpanzee-ish long arms and i'm duck-footed. I feel no difference in either squat or deadlift when lifting in my 3/4" Powerlift 3's. The only thing i notice, is that my quads get
    really sore.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
    I much prefer lifting in bare feet now. I feel so planted and solid now that I don't want to go back to shoes. Is that weird or what? With the flat feet my balance feels much better whether its squats or deadlifts or presses.
    I've been lifting in swim shoes for the past three years only because my gym won't let me lift in bare feet. I really don't get the argument in favor of using lifting shoes. If your feet and ankles are weak, then lifting progressively will make them stronger, no?