starting strength gym

Thread: Motivation? Big Wheel Hat trick

Default Motivation? Big Wheel Hat trick

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I had to ask myself, "why am I so motivated?". Others are making posts looking for ideas.

I would not wish the real reason on anyone, (see the first half of Sully's book). I'm working my way through a couple injuries. Both my squat and bench (and press) are roughly in "start over" mode. But the ramp up coming back from an injury is actually much faster than the "first time" IMO.

Here is my answer:

BIG WHEEL HAT TRICK
    My closest lift to 3 wheels is my Deadlift at 265 5RM.

1 Wheel = 135 Kind of a stretch goal for my bench. (torn rotator currently 2lbsx10)
    2 Wheels = 225 Best squat has been 232.5x5 (quad tendinitis currently 55x5 3sets)
    3 Wheels = 315 Best Dead Lift is 265x5 (currently 260x5)

So, getting to the three wheel hat trick.

Bench rehabbed last night with a doll rod. 135-2= 133 to go
    Squat rehab at 55x5 225-55= 170 to go
    Dead 260x5 so 315-260= 55 to go

I'm actually about equally worried about all three lifts, but my shoulder has been problematic. Dead has the most "new ground" to cover.

So I realize that for many (maybe most) on this site, this seems a rather modest goal.

But then, it only needs to motivate me. LOL.

I only have two pairs of 45's but I have 3 pairs of 35's, which with 10's can be pretend big wheels.

With any luck, this will "inspire ideas" for others.

For this year, I defined success as "complete at least 100 workouts in calendar 2017" -- break the pattern of layoffs and restarts.

I'm up to 75 for the year so far, with only 3 missed sessions, all for medical reasons. I even bought a day-pass and lifted at a strange gym on a business trip. This feels like winning.

I'm chasing the 1000 lb total still, but just getting a third wheel on the squat - where my top set was 295 x 4 at the end of LP - is the closest goal.

Consistency is the success I'm after. The rest is details.

Ditto here. I would love to see a 3 wheel squat this calendar year - my best 1RM (all time) is 125kg 6 months ago but I cut some body weight since then and lost some strength. I'm sure it's achievable though.

Have got the two wheels on deadlift covered, but not for reps. Yet. I wouldn't need much strength improvement there, mostly form.

Two wheels on bench is still a long way off. Maybe next year. We'll see.

As above though I am honestly happy to just keep training consistently, stay healthy and keep enjoying it. Strength improvements will come at the rate they come. Really looking forward to what the next few months brings especially

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    For this year, I defined success as "complete at least 100 workouts in calendar 2017" -- break the pattern of layoffs and restarts.

I'm up to 75 for the year so far, with only 3 missed sessions, all for medical reasons. I even bought a day-pass and lifted at a strange gym on a business trip. This feels like winning.
    Post of the year. Anyone who follows this, wins. I've thought about this a lot, reading Sully's (and Andy's) new book. As we age and fight the ultimate fight against time, we want to avoid the sick active phenotype, and remain as active and able as is possible. So, the way I see it, as long as you're training, and making some progress, or maintaining a high level of ability, you're keeping a lot of lean muscle mass, and avoiding the metabolic syndrome (and keeping strong bones, and all the other health benefits from strength training).

Having said all that, I did set some arbitrary goals when I started all this 2 years ago... the "50s". I'd like to, at least once, get a 1RM of 150 (press), 250 (BP), 350 (squat) and 450 (DL). I've had way too many layoffs and re-starts, but my approach is now basically what cwd posted. Just keep going, and don't miss workouts.

So, I've been back at it for about 3 months now, and have tied my set PRs for squat from last year, and set a new set PR for DL. Getting close to PR level with the press, and still working on BP. And I've got a long way to go to get to the "50s". But I'm progressing, and sticking with it. And avoiding all the problems from last year by having a MUCH better squat and DL form, so not having all the muscle pain and problems I had then.