starting strength gym

Thread: Geezer at 4-months, good and bad update

Default Geezer at 4-months, good and bad update

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey All, and thanks to Carson for the reminder to update...

I began the SS program in late in March 21, 2017, so I'm at the 4-month mark right now. My monthly stopping point to pause and reflect, I guess. I am also now on my 4th injury (my back again) and have to stop pulling (again).

The good:

The other day I took my measurements for the first time since I started the program, and I have gained about an inch "everywhere" including biceps, quads, chest, and yes, waist too. I definitely do NOT have abs! My body weight has gone from 185 - 204 during this time.

Work set max (Start - Now)
    Squat 125 - 200
    Press 95 - 135
    Bench 135 - 185
    Deadlift 185 - 185 (high of 235 pre-injury)
    Powerclean 95 - 135

The not-so Good:

Groin pull left leg (de-loaded & resumed with brace)
    Back injury (at ribs & mid-back) (doctor visit, 4 PT appointments, no pulling for 1 month+)
    Groin pull right leg (2 week rehab, using Starr protocol this time)
    Back injury (at lower back) -- no pulling again

Back injury #2 started about a week ago. One day my last deadlift warmup set felt unreasonably heavy, and then I couldn't get my deadlift work set off the floor, period. I thought it would subside by now, but it has not. I might go to the doctor tomorrow if my rest and stretching regimen doesn't yield any improvements. I felt a little better this A.M. but I can't tell if it's an anomaly.

How do I feel? Stronger, in my upper body especially. Extremely tight, reduced flexibility especially my lower body. A little fat. My gut gets in the way when bending side to side, but whatever.

Although I'm generally pretty happy with my strength gains, I feel like I've been too injured and constantly compensating for one thing or another to get the full benefit of the program. Still, it could have been worse. About the only exercise I've been consistent with and able to do without injury is bench press, and it shows a very gradual and steady linear progress. In contrast, deadlifts have been an utter disaster. I think I peaked at deadift in my third week of the program and basically have done only rehab-type deadlifts ever since.

I contacted located a certified SS trainer, who I will meet with once I go to the doctor and get my back situation figured out. I don't want to do anymore pulling without a second pair of eyes to ensure I am not overcompensating or making form errors. I feel like getting healthy and just trying to start this program over again, but I guess I'll see what the trainer says.

Sounds like that SS coach is what you need. Either some form tweaks, or just more cautious programming.

Old beginners probably have a high injury rate. I've had my share, though I've been more fortunate than you.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Sounds like that SS coach is what you need. Either some form tweaks, or just more cautious programming.

Old beginners probably have a high injury rate. I've had my share, though I've been more fortunate than you.
    I had a lot of injurys the first couple of years, pulls and pains all over the place, but everything healed, now I been ok for almost two years. Its harder to make progress now, thats the downside. Im 66 this year and been lifting 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post

I went to see the doc today, and the verdict is a "mildly" herniated disc . . . it should hopefully resolve on its own with 2 weeks of rest and ibuprofen. So, the old "take two aspirin and call me in the morning" routine. This is actually good news, since the doc didn't think my pain level and how far the pain was radiating down my legs was serious enough for an MRI. I was correct, it seems, in my suspicion that it wasn't a muscle injury.

The cause is likely tied to the oddball activities I've been doing lately -- landscaping, cutting down trees, climbing up and down ladders. Heavy lifting in the gym either exacerbated my problem, or maybe back strength was protective and it "could have been worse"? We may never know.

Sitting hurts and I can't ride my bike. A very literal pain in the ass, this is!

I don't know how old you are, but you should definitely not be getting injuries as a novice. There's a very strong probability that your technique needs correction. I'm 71, lifting at a pretty high level, and I just don't get hurt, even when I fail a rep or go for a 1RM. I can only attribute that to the fact that I video every set, including warmup, and am strict about my technique. Have also had a couple of visits with an SSC at critical points to help refine my technique. The nearest SSC is 180 miles away, else I'd probably go more often, but the sessions I have had have been very productive, and well worth the money.

Lifting correctly will typically resolve herniated disc problems, and you're not likely to damage a disc IF you lift right. Early this year, I took a colleague whose back was so bad he couldn't bend over to pick up a pencil off the floor due to herniated discs, and got him lifting respectable weights. He says deciding to train was the best decision he'd ever made.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but you should definitely not be getting injuries as a novice. There's a very strong probability that your technique needs correction. I'm 71, lifting at a pretty high level, and I just don't get hurt, even when I fail a rep or go for a 1RM. I can only attribute that to the fact that I video every set, including warmup, and am strict about my technique. Have also had a couple of visits with an SSC at critical points to help refine my technique. The nearest SSC is 180 miles away, else I'd probably go more often, but the sessions I have had have been very productive, and well worth the money.

Lifting correctly will typically resolve herniated disc problems, and you're not likely to damage a disc IF you lift right. Early this year, I took a colleague whose back was so bad he couldn't bend over to pick up a pencil off the floor due to herniated discs, and got him lifting respectable weights. He says deciding to train was the best decision he'd ever made.
    Yeah all of this.

Age, Height and Weight would also be helpful. Video yourself, and compare with the sites training videos.

My experience is similar to Fiddler, except for the "lifting at a high level" part. My injuries are primarily from "non lifting" activities. I go to my rack to fix this stuff. An SSC will get you on the right track quickest.