starting strength gym

Thread: Deaload for the Elderly

Default Deaload for the Elderly

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After some inflammation and beginning to run out of gas, I've decided to do a deload week. But it's not clear to me if I'm doing this in an efficient way.

Last time I deloaded by reducing weight to 60% of 5RM, and reduced volume by 50%.

What's got me wondering is the master's need for intensity. Should I be reducing weight by a smaller amount to keep intensity high? Is there a Rip- pr Sully-approved method for deloads?

The 60% is not a bad idea, but dropping the volume by 50% may not. I'd leave the volume the same.

OK, I will do that. Thanks.

My thinking was, "I'm volume sensitive, but intensity dependent." So I figured I should keep volume down, and maybe raise the 60% to keep from detraining. But you're way is probably better. Will find out next week..

When you come back from the deload, do you start weights where they left off, reduce them, or just go for the next weight up?

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    When you come back from the deload, do you start weights where they left off, reduce them, or just go for the next weight up?
    It depends. I've done both restart at the last weight prior to the deload AND go for the next jump up. But I made sure it was a small jump. I used my sense of recovery as my guide for which to do. If I felt refreshed and strong after the deload I'd try moving up.

That's an interesting article, thanks for sharing it. It looks like Coach Baker is also looking at volume considerations for masters. His take on intensity is also interesting, in that he might not reduce the weights by much--if at all--but lower reps instead:

[Intensity dependence] has MAJOR implications when scheduling deloading weeks for an older lifter. I no longer utilize light sets of five for deloads on older lifters. Instead, I keep intensity high, often using sets of singles and doubles. I still drastically cut volume and most of the time frequency as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    After some inflammation and beginning to run out of gas, I've decided to do a deload week. But it's not clear to me if I'm doing this in an efficient way.

Last time I deloaded by reducing weight to 60% of 5RM, and reduced volume by 50%.

What's got me wondering is the master's need for intensity. Should I be reducing weight by a smaller amount to keep intensity high? Is there a Rip- pr Sully-approved method for deloads?
    One Week Deload

Decreasing the weight for only one week isn't an optimal method.

The most effective method for everyone is...

Periodization Training

The foundation of this is planned progressive increases in load, volume or both during a specific number or weeks.

Once you have pushed yourself to the limit; a new training cycle follows in which you decrease the load (Deload) and then over a period of a few weeks progressive increase the load, volume and or both and a achieve a new personal best.

[i]The Purpose[/u]

The purpose of Periodization Training is to provide stress to encourage adaptation (an increase in strength, muscle mass or both). The back off for a few weeks, allowing the body to recovery and become stronger.

This is the foundation Periodization Training is based on Hans Selye's "General Adaptation Syndrome"; providing a recovery period after the body is stressed allow it to recover and become stronger.

"Wound Healing"

The amount of time to recovery from stress is dependent on the amount of trauma to the body.

The greater the trauma the longer the recovery period; the shorter the trauma, the shorter the recovery period needed.

Training Age

This is a reference to the number of years you have been training.

Novice Lifter can use the same training program for a longer period of time, about 6 - 8 weeks, before they need to make a change.

Advanced Lifter need to change their program more often, about every 3 - 4 weeks.

The Intensity-Volume "See-Saw"

There is an indirect relationship between Intensity and Volume; they are on opposite sides of the "See-Saw".

When Intensity goes up, Volume goes down.

When Volume goes up, Intensity Goes down.

As Vince Gironda (a good bodybuilder and great bodybuilding coach) said, "You can train hard (Intensity) or long (Volume) but NOT both.

The Take Home Message...

is "Plan your work, Work your plan."

1) Planned progressive loading which pushed you to the limit at the end of your training cycle.

Once that occurs...

2) A Planned "Deload" in which you progressively increase the load in the exercise. This ensure you recovery, become stronger and hit a new personal record.

Kenny Croxdale