starting strength gym

Thread: Gah! Rotator cuff. Shoulder pain

Default Gah! Rotator cuff. Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For the past three or four years, I have been babying a partial rotator cuff tear. Three of the tendons on my right shoulder have partial tears. Surgery doesn't come in until the tears are fully through the tendon. So I rested it for a while, then I had PT, then I had prolo. I started to slowly use it for chores and always tried to back off as soon as it hurt. About 7 months ago I started bench pressing with a 15# bar. I added a half a pound or a pound every workout until two weeks ago when I got to 83 pounds. That's a lot for me. I was sore and achy the first couple of months, but gradually, that went away, and I kept adding weight.
    Last week, for some reason, 84 pounds was just too hard, and the bar path was kind of all over the place. I had a spotter, and he helped me through my last rep. My shoulder felt a little, tiny bit achy, but not bad. Over the next few days, it felt more achy at night and a little achy during the day, and I just tried to not overuse it. Yesterday, it felt ok, the achiness was down by about 80%, so I tried three sets of three at 75 pounds. That was really hard for some reason, and I decided not to push it. (I did warmup sets of 3 with 45#, 55# and 65#)

It still aches a little bit, but I think backing off and building back up might be what I need to do.

So, anyway.... it's hot, and I reached up to pull the chain on a ceiling fan to start it, and felt a tiny little "pop!" and now it hurts. I am icing it. It doesn't hurt like "something is seriously wrong in there"... but it hurts enough that it is discouraging.
    The week after next I have to have an unrelated surgery, and won't be able to lift for "at least 6-8 weeks". I am thinking that I will start with 50-60% of my most recent weight, and build back up over a few weeks.
    Not sure how this is done; stopping for a month (or two) and starting back up.
    Last edited by Outstanding; 08-17-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm 63 and have had the rare privilege of 3 torn rotator cuffs. One pre-SS and I diligently did the silly bullshit, prescribed by the all knowing internet, but oddly added a little progressive overload. (what was I thinking??? LOL), this took about a year.

The second two, which rehabbed much better I watched this video a lot.
    Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe
    Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

I have a home gym, and sad to say, I don't lift quite like Rip. So instead of the 45# bar, I have a 5'x1" doll rod (2#) and an old 1" x 5' bar that weighs 22#.
    Instead of "rings" for the ceiling, I use motorcycle straps from my chin up bar.

I use Rip's workout on my lifting days. and go with that same motion very light for 2 sets of 5 on off days, sometimes twice.
    I've included benches some time but had really bad luck. Get your Press back to normal first IMO. I always seemed to aggravate it with the bench.

My olympic plates work fine on the 1" doll rod and metal bar. especially useful for this are the micro plates.

Good luck!