starting strength gym
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: John Broz System

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since so few of us know what is actually going on with US training, all we can really do is speculate and take people who do know at their word.

The notion of getting the athletes stronger for instance, would seem a no brainer. Stronger is very vague though to me. I have no degree in kinesiology. Would someone who is ridiculously strong at a back squat be able to translate that to a snatch? I mean, could there be some muscle group that is acting as a bottleneck?

I can see why you'd practice form, if that is getting the most out of the strength you have. I cant see it being the primary concern though.

As for the Bulgarians, I have no idea what it is they do, but in searching around I see they did have a lot of guys pulled in 2008 and 2004 for steroids:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...tlifters_N.htm

I've seen it suggested on other forums that they couldnt do what they do without steroids, but again people say a lot of crap on the internet.

Default More on Bulgarian VS (Your Favorite) Style Of Training

Perhaps a related discussion would be that of transfer. Without the existence of transfer, weightlifters would do nothing but heavy snatches and C&J's. The fact that the Bulgarians also do pulls and squats speaks to the importance of transfer of course. But other weightlifting systems, most notably the Soviet system, seem even more optimistic about the promise of transfer,

Along with several others, I'd posit that transfer is a very significant factor that must be considered when devising athletic programming in any sport.

Now over to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    As for the Bulgarians, I have no idea what it is they do
    Iron Mind has a training hall tape of the Bulgarians, I believe from the late 90s. I have it. Although it is not definitive as to "what they do", we see them doing a lot of single snatches and clean and jerks, consistent with their reputation. We also see some front squats--their 123 pounder (I forget his name), front squats a single with about 400 pounds--talk about strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
    Perhaps a related discussion would be that of transfer. Without the existence of transfer, weightlifters would do nothing but heavy snatches and C&J's. The fact that the Bulgarians also do pulls and squats speaks to the importance of transfer of course. But other weightlifting systems, most notably the Soviet system, seem even more optimistic about the promise of transfer,

Along with several others, I'd posit that transfer is a very significant factor that must be considered when devising athletic programming in any sport.

Now over to you...
    Great point, Charles. So does transfer happen automatically if one has a strong technical basis? Or does one have to routinely lift at a very high intensity to "learn" how to apply that strength to the classic lifts?

I'd argue that squats and pulls are absolutely necessary to build strength, but, especially for the more advanced athlete, without a focus on hitting the lifts frequently and heavy (95% +), that strength simply wont be transferable come the day of competition.

So, if the OTC does have a focus on strength (contrary to what has been said), but doesn't have a strong enough focus on hitting the competition lifts at maximal weights frequently enough to illicit a high degree of transfer, it seems to me that more strength work might not be the right solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Great point, Charles. So does transfer happen automatically if one has a strong technical basis? Or does one have to routinely lift at a very high intensity to "learn" how to apply that strength to the classic lifts?

***Transfer is always at play, whether you like it or not, whether you know it or not. The trick is to direct that transfer so it's working for you, not randomly or against you

I'd argue that squats and pulls are absolutely necessary to build strength,

***Me too, but remember, when you clean and snatch, you're pulling and squatting

So, if the OTC does have a focus on strength (contrary to what has been said), but doesn't have a strong enough focus on hitting the competition lifts at maximal weights frequently enough to illicit a high degree of transfer, it seems to me that more strength work might not be the right solution.
    *** I'm not certain to be honest

an aside here, some of the Average Broz vids on youtube say "No, no, no style squat"... what does that mean? Whats a No No No Squat?

Quote Originally Posted by caseyd123 View Post
    an aside here, some of the Average Broz vids on youtube say "No, no, no style squat"... what does that mean? Whats a No No No Squat?
    No suit, no wraps, no belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootskier View Post
    Yes, Rip should definitely interview Broz. However, we need to find Rip some royalty free ROCK for the intros. The synthesizer based public access music sounds like something grandma pulled out of her purse.
    Maybe we could get some kick ass rock and roll group to sponsor the site? Rip could use the music and the group would get some publicity...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post

Originally Posted by Rootskier
    Yes, Rip should definitely interview Broz. However, we need to find Rip some royalty free ROCK for the intros. The synthesizer based public access music sounds like something grandma pulled out of her purse.

Maybe we could get some kick ass rock and roll group to sponsor the site? Rip could use the music and the group would get some publicity...
    Use Big Booty Bitches

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
    Jim Wendler FTW?

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast