starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOMS even if you lift regularly?

Default DOMS even if you lift regularly?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello friends,

I was always under the impression that DOMS would arise if one doesn't work out regularly or has taken an extended break or what not.

I've been lifting consistently for over 3 months now and I still get DOMS in my hams, traps and lower back from squats, powercleans and deadlifts respectively. Especially now that the weights are getting REALLY heavy for me.

Does everyone else here still get DOMS even after lifting consistently for years?

Later,
    J.D.

Yes.

It depends on how much you sleep, eat, how much protein, kind of workout etc. but usually yes.

For me, no. Zero DOMS when not introducing a new movement.

No if I'm on a program I'm used to.

Yes if it's a new program, exercise or sometimes rep scheme.

I have had it more or less continuously going back a couple of months, at least.

It's taken some time but it's a lot better now. I really don't know how much it has to do with what I eat (I consume massive quantities post workout now), or just time under the bar producing some long, slow adaptations. It could possibly be affected by my improved hormone profile (I Clomid now). Maybe some from each category?

I feel no DOMS after the first few workouts unless I introduce something new, like doing chinups when I haven't for a while for example.

Sometimes I do, most times I don't.

I get stiff RIGHT after working out, but it fades as hours pass

starting strength coach development program
    Same boat as you, I've made many assaults on Marks brutal program over the last
    few years. In the early happy days meaning going from 185 - 215 was a lot more
    fun due to the fact that I knew if I didnt eat i was going to die, eating helped massively
    with DOMS.

My current serious attempt has been in effect for 2.5 months except I've held my body
    weight at 215. Here is what happens, the muscles get so hungry they cant get enough
    food from my blood so they have recruited these little guys that look like lumber jacks
    and what they do is wonder around my body looking for pieces of fat. When they find
    some they whack away a piece with their axe and bring it to the muscle monster who
    devours it in mili seconds. The area were the lumber jacks have been hacking away at
    hurts when ever I move.

I'm taking a four day break at the moment to give myself a rest from this ongoing discomfort.
    But I plan to soldier on as I'm thrilled with the results even though I'm not squating 500 pounds
    for reps.

In addition to this it's taking me a while to adjust to having such large strong legs and I feel
    like a oak tree the day after lifting. Mark doesnt really touch on this in his book very well,
    meaning you are becoming a very different person in a short time. Not unlike a plastic
    surgeon bolting on a handsome face on a ugly guy, it will take him time to adjust to
    women chasing him down the street.
    Last edited by hunter308; 02-21-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast