starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building size in the neck

Default Building size in the neck

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Because of a post soon to appear over on Rip's page, I'd like to bring up neck hypertrophy--making the neck bigger. Regrettably, this isn't for strength or vanity, but because many of us must have good neck/waist measurement ratios to keep our jobs. The concensus out on those "other" boards is that DLs and shrugs are the main way to go, but these tend to have affects more on the traps than on the neck itself (see http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm for example). We get taped above the traps but below the Adam's apple, so the exercises have to focus on all those little muscles in the neck itself.

Those of you who have experience with this, please speak up.

This, for example, from T-something:

Press your neck forcefully against an immovable force (your hand) on each side, and front and back, holding your head at the temples/forehead. Isometrically hold for 30 seconds, really hard. Repeat 3x week (it'll take minutes, you know) and you could maybe even increase the volume, and obviously as you get stronger it'll increase in intensity. Good luck.

I bought a Spuds Neck Harness 3 months ago and I started using it religously. I've always had a "stack of dimes" but in 3 months my neck went from 16.5 to 17.5.
    Years ago when I used to practice BJJ, they always had us doing isometric neck exercises. (Bridges, etc) Unfortunately, they never worked for me.

Just flare your neck tendons out and growl at the person taking the measurements.
    This will increase your neck measurement and is also good practice for scaring away mean dogs.

I'm in a helpful mood today.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    I bought a Spuds Neck Harness 3 months ago and I started using it religously. I've always had a "stack of dimes" but in 3 months my neck went from 16.5 to 17.5.
    Years ago when I used to practice BJJ, they always had us doing isometric neck exercises. (Bridges, etc) Unfortunately, they never worked for me.
    That's awesome. This wasn't during GOMAD though I hope :P

Did you gain measurable strength on some lifts you could tell us?

Interesting stuff here. Maybe I'll get a neck harness and try to build my "yoke" as a side hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Beltshumeltz View Post
    That's awesome. This wasn't during GOMAD though I hope
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Beltshumeltz View Post
    Did you gain measurable strength on some lifts you could tell us?
    My log is on the intermediate log section. My first post is also the first day I used the neck harness.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Just flare your neck tendons out and growl at the person taking the measurements.
    This will increase your neck measurement and is also good practice for scaring away mean dogs.

I'm in a helpful mood today.
    Haha, its funny because its true. Usually the corpsmen/medics that do this are wise to that and part of their instruction is to obtain a measurement on a relaxed neck.

However,one thing you try that is less obvious is shift your head back slightly(without tilting it up or down) which allows you to flex your neck without it looking too obvious.

I wonder if they make silicone neck implants.

I have no helpful insite. I just can't get over how absolutely stupid the requirement of a minimum neck to waiste ratio is.

starting strength coach development program
    Get a neck harness, you can be as cool as this retard:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast