starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exercises for a 50 year old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yup, the vicodin they give you in the ER will do that just before you start inspecting the inside of your eyelids for light leakage.

I started the SS program just a couple months short of my 50th birthday. The hard part for me was taking it slow. After all, in my mind I was in my early 30s. After a few set backs tweeking my back and adductor I progressed pretty good for an "elderly" guy.

As others have stated, it depends what is causing his current back issues and his motivation.

I hope RobCor is joking.

I'm very glad I'm one of those (nearly) 50 year old's people ask for training advice instead of one of those whose sons try to get into the gym.

I don't really think dragging people to the gym if they don't want to works very well. If they want to, great!

I can say that I had chronic knee, lower back and neck aches for about 20 years that all went away when I started lifting (at 41) and that I feel better and move better even than when I was 20 and athletic. Not to mention being nearly 3x stronger.

So ... if he wants to, get him to the gym. SS is a very good program. Just tone down the progression a bit and concentrate on form for a while. Going from sedentary to any kind of exercise makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure RobCor was joking, or my response to him might have been somewhat less, oh let's say jocular, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    I hope RobCor is joking.
    Well, yes; however, I do think that the statement is valid. Putting a 315lb bar on the back of a sedentary 50 year would cause minor aches and pains to be remarkably less apparent when they are supplanted by the sensations from multiple torn muscles, ligaments, tendons, and broken bones.

OP, plenty of good advice in this thread. Per hbriem's post, you will likely have to keep encouraging him to go to the gym until his efforts produce results.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Well, yes; however, I do think that the statement is valid. Putting a 315lb bar on the back of a sedentary 50 year would cause minor aches and pains to be remarkably less apparent when they are supplanted by the sensations from multiple torn muscles, ligaments, tendons, and broken bones.

OP, plenty of good advice in this thread. Per hbriem's post, you will likely have to keep encouraging him to go to the gym until his efforts produce results.
    So by that logic, say, shooting someone in the leg would then dampen the pains caused by torn muscles, ligaments, tendons and broken bones?

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    So by that logic, say, shooting someone in the leg would then dampen the pains caused by torn muscles, ligaments, tendons and broken bones?
    Yep! In the head would be even more productive.

The only thing I might drop out of the program would be Powercleans. You could sub in BB Rows or something like that. You could also start him doing the program just 2 days a week, like Monday and Friday. On Wednesday, he could so something light (or fun).

I am not in my 50's, so all I can really say is that it might be best to scale back the intensity a bit. People that are 50 can still get very strong, just look at master powerlifters. I worked out with a guy that could squat 800 at 50 years old. He was careful about not overtraining, but he also put up some massive amounts of weight. He squatted heavy one day and did a speed day later in the week.

Good luck!

The trick, as Rip would attest to, is to get to the "progression" part before your "guinea pig" loses interest. Sure, the first time doing a bar-only dry run might be prudent (my first set of bar-only warm-up squats is still my hardest set... old and creaky), but if you can throw 5's on next session, then 10's the next time, then you just have to get out of the way. This is assuming the back doesn't protest too much, but I just went through this with my 52 year old wife. She'd be inclined listen to anyone with an exercise routine before me, but once I got her (kicking and screaming all the way) to try my stupid neanderthal SS, and once a little more weight went on the bar next session, her competitive juices were flowing and my job was done (except for an occational "gentle" form suggestion). Anyhow, if you can figure out a way to get your dad to the stage where any progress is apparent, I think you'll be off to the races. Start slow, but create some early trajectory if you can... Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    Bingo. Linear Progression.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast