starting strength gym

Thread: Beta Blockers and Training

Default Beta Blockers and Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After searching, there doesn't seem to be much information on this topic anywhere on the board. I will be starting to take a beta blocker (Atenolol, for headaches) in a week and I am wondering if they will effect training. I have read that beta blockers can produce weakness, and obviously they produce lower blood pressure. Has anyone here had experience training while on beta blockers?

When used to treat headaches, atenolol is usually given in a pretty low dose. Besides affecting blood pressure, atenolol, like other beta blockers, also affects heart rate as well, causing a decrease in heartrate,and sometimes blocking the body's ability to increase heartrate during a time of stress (exercise). I would check with your physician to see if he/she has any problems with you lifting on whatever dose you are taking.

Like gman said, for headaches you usually get a dose of about 20-40mg per day which is very low. It won't affect your training.

If it's closer to 300mg a day (like in cases where they are used to seriously lower blood pressure) then it will be a problem.

Just jump into a pharmacy for five minutes and tell the pharmacist what your dose is, he'll be able to tell you if it's safe and that will save you a doctors appointment.

But if it's just for headaches/migraines you should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll double check with my neurologist/pharmacist.

I just saw a neurologist and he's starting me on Inderal for migraines 60mg 2x/day. The migraines I get put me down and had been treated with Imitrex nasal for years but lately hadn't been responding well. This is the first neuro I've seen since originally diagnosed in April 2003 at the Kuwait Military Hospital by a neuro. We discussed my lifting and track cycling and generally if I'm doing a long ride of 3+ hourse he feels I won't be affected. Right now we're going to try different things so it'll be an interesting spring/summer of drug use! :-) So my question for MichaelReinke is how is the course of treatment going for you?

Bill