starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long term effects of weight lifting.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Shut up
    Another autistic forum nerd...

Right here. Wendler gives that advice. You can read Dave Tate's stuff to see that he just trained through numerous injuries and his shoulder is fucked up forever. Rippetoe has said numerous times he just gets back in the gym as soon as possible.

Now what?
    Last edited by Jefferson; 06-16-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    It would suck to die before they cure aging.
    Good luck holding out for that. You realize chicks aren't going to dig you like that when you are 100+, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Another autistic forum nerd...

Right here. Wendler gives that advice. You can read Dave Tate's stuff to see that he just trained through numerous injuries and his shoulder is fucked up forever. Rippetoe has said numerous times he just gets back in the gym as soon as possible.

Now what?
    Rip's advice is often contrary to what he did in his past, because he has lerned from his mistakes. When it comes to tendinitis he unambiguously states that treatment requires rest and high doses of antiinflammatories. In some specific cases it might actually be a weakness of a certain muscle and so will prescribe an accessory exercise to overcome that exercise (eg people who are weak int heir upper body might benefit from chin ups is low bar squat aggrivates their elbows).

None of this is the same as mindless training through it, so, I repeat, shut up.

It would suck to die before they cure aging....
    I've got bad news for you...

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Rip's advice is often contrary to what he did in his past, because he has lerned from his mistakes. When it comes to tendinitis he unambiguously states that treatment requires rest and high doses of antiinflammatories. In some specific cases it might actually be a weakness of a certain muscle and so will prescribe an accessory exercise to overcome that exercise (eg people who are weak int heir upper body might benefit from chin ups is low bar squat aggrivates their elbows).

None of this is the same as mindless training through it, so, I repeat, shut up.
    I'm not saying he's stupid or anything like that as you seem to be inferring, I'm just saying as a competitive powerlifter who had a finite window of youth to make progress, he says he often chose progress in the gym over health. Not that he would advise others to do the same. So why don't you shut the fuck up tough guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Most people on this forum are just too fat. If you keep your bodyfat low you need never be very heavy.
    How can I do this? I've read stuff from Rip and others that suggest that newbies should just accept getting somewhat fat at first, otherwise they are just being vain sissies. I'm not one of those skinny guys worried about hypothetically getting fat -- I have been eating a lot in the past 10 days and have already gotten noticeably fatter. My fat tends to only go to my gut, so it looks pretty bad. Are there any good resources you could link to about gaining weight without getting fat? I don't care if my progress is slightly slower using this approach.

I tried to search the forum about this, but apparently the term "fat" is either too short or too common to search on.

How can I do this? I've read stuff from Rip and others that suggest that newbies should just accept getting somewhat fat at first, otherwise they are just being vain sissies. I'm not one of those skinny guys worried about hypothetically getting fat -- I have been eating a lot in the past 10 days and have already gotten noticeably fatter. My fat tends to only go to my gut, so it looks pretty bad. Are there any good resources you could link to about gaining weight without getting fat? I don't care if my progress is slightly slower using this approach.

I tried to search the forum about this, but apparently the term "fat" is either too short or too common to search on.
    When you get too fat, just lose weight and keep lifting heavy, then start putting on weight and strength again, then when you get too fat again lose weight and keep lifting heavy, then start putting weight and strength on again...

get the idea?

1. I'm kinda curious about the "stuff that Rip and others that suggest newbies should just accept getting fat at first."

2. What are you eating that would make you fatter in 10 days?

A Gallon Of Oil A Day?

starting strength coach development program

Just dont eat as much. Count calories and experiment until you find the minimum amount you can eat that will support strength gains.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast