starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dress/formal shoes: weightlifting shoes in disguise?

Default Dress/formal shoes: weightlifting shoes in disguise?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have running shoes, and I have these:

http://media.burton.co.uk/wcsstore/B...XBLK_large.jpg

I don't have weightlifting shoes (yet), and I know that wearing my formal shoes would be much better for my lifting than running shoes.

The heels are lifted ~0.75" higher than the rest of the foot. They're just relatively loose, like a typical loafer is.

Thoughts on whether this is a good idea for broke kids on starting strength? I'm doing linear progression so no snatches or cleans.

you don't need weightlifting shoes to be strong or do olympic lifts.

Yes, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJfOi5rnlU

So my formal shoes are better to lift in given the solid heel. Granted, they will look ridiculous but you know what I'm getting at.

People who can't afford weightlfiting shoes best use any formal shoes at home instead of running shoes.
    Last edited by aa7; 06-10-2011 at 06:07 AM.

if you want to do O-lifts do them with formal shoes or chucks. or just do them in running shoes.

why wont my palm go through my face!?

I would buy an ordinary pair of all-star shoes. These aren't very expensive and are good for your lifts.

I've seen loads of photos of guys back in the day squatting in dress shoes. I don't think I'd do Oly lifts in them (they seem a little slippery for that kind of thing) but hey... who knows. See how you feel with lighter stuff if you want to try them out.

Workboots, You'll look all old-skool and shit:

Some old school Oly lifters use dress shoes. I have seen some pics. Coach Rip probably know better than me. Back when I started powerlifting I used work boots for the squat. I think dress shoes can work, if they are bit snug and not loose. Read the chapter on the squat in SS.

starting strength coach development program
    I purchased a pair of cheap (I think I paid $6!) military dress shoes for just this purpose. They were lace ups, not loafers, all leather and had a low heel of about .7 inches. They are awesome!. They make me feel like my feet are nailed to the floor. I wholly recommend cheap dress shoes, but make sure they are "old school" with a thin leather or hard rubber/plastic sole and a non compressible heel. Newer dress shoes, especially chep ones, are very soft and pliable - no good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast