starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athletic Performance

Default Athletic Performance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Of the athletes on this forum (those competing in anything other than a form of weightlifting), how many have seen some demonstrable differences in your performance?

Do you run faster, jump higher, KO people quicker etc.?

I ask only because I'm curious.

Being stronger than everyone and heavier than everyone who isn't 6'5" helps my Karate a whole shitload. Works pretty well with Judo too.

I find that when playing hockey I am capable of more explosive bursts of speed since starting SS on June 6th. I notice this only if I have more than one day of rest since my last workout though. Today I played hockey after squatting yesterday and the lack of recovery time meant that I was less explosive than before I started lifting.

I mostly just KO people quicker. Cause that's what I do. I KO people.

I play football ( Soccer for the us people ), and since starting SS, I feel much stronger while holding the ball of the opponent, dominance in aerial play and aerial positioning, more explosive on sprints and generally faster, more agile while attacking or defending since SS gives u a stronger core which exceeds in this area ( although I feel plyometrics can be of more useful in this area ), Shot is stronger as well and I'm sure there's a lot more benefits that I didn't state.

I can sprint significantly faster. The first time I sprinted all out after bringing my squat from 135 to the mid 300s, I actually stumbled because I was so unused to the difference in power.

I know very little about technique in Jiu Jitsu, but can hold my own and often beat people who have been doing it for years with just shear strength...not going to lie though, usually I just gas out and pray they choke me out soon

playing baseball, i notice i hit the ball significantly harder and farther and i thought i was a good hitter before, it's made me into a power hitter without trying to hit for power. also playing basketball i notice i can hold my own under the basket even though i'm shorter than most (5' 7").

Damn...are there not that many competitive athletes on this forum?

starting strength coach development program
    Mike, I think a lot of people in this forum would agree, SS just came to them way to late.. I'm 36.. If I'd have known the things I learned over the last 8 months, I might have been playing competitive sports in my 20's... I might have been able to throw a ball over them mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast