starting strength gym
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Fat Estimation Thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I think most people start looking funny at 20%. Have you seen Dastardly's pictures? he actually took a DEXA scan and it showed 25%, which coincided with most people's estimates around here. According to the navy method, I have 19% bf and I would say I look accordingly.
    I think people are better at estimating others than themselves for whatever reason. I also have found the navy calculator to be fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I think people are better at estimating others than themselves for whatever reason. I also have found the navy calculator to be fairly accurate.
    So, here's the catch: if the navy calculator is accurate, my FFMI is 24,56.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    So, here's the catch: if the navy calculator is accurate, my FFMI is 24,56.
    24,56 @ 19% is not the same thing as 24,56 @ 6% on stage.

But I'm making assumptions about the particulars of a study I haven't even read so...

Just in my experience it is easier to carry more LBM when overfed and fat(ter) i.e. sumo wrestlers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    vryhrm - what are your current lift 5RMs (or whateverRMs)?
    Well, i'm more of a theory guy, so i spend most of my time on this forum because, from my reading, i'm pretty sure that SS would be a pretty good program to do. As soon as i get down to a respectable weight i'll probably give SS shot.

if you're not buying that... in mid Aug i got up to:
    Squats 3x5x315
    DL 1x5x330
    Those were the heaviest sets i ever completed. Then i took a couple of weeks off to let my arms heal. Worked my back up to 3x5x260 squats about a month ago.. and hurt a muscle in my lumbar... so i've been working back from that...
    Today i did:
    squats: 3x5x245 (it wasn't easy)
    bp: 3x3x195 (which is my max)
    dl: 2x3x265
    lat pull down 3x3x200
    ( i'm doing 3s instead of 5s for some of these because i am on a cut (ha!) )

press is something like 3x5x120 PC about the same. BP, PC and Press were hampered by recurring arm and elbow issues from squat problems.

Edit: also, by the Navy tape method i am apparently 35.4% ... which is surprisingly consistent.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 12-03-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    It's actually somewhat hard to find on google because not a lot of people advertise it. Probably the best way would be to go to maps.google.com and try something like:
    DEXA body composition near: minneapolis, MN

It goes by either DEXA or DXA but google seems to recognize them as synonyms. It should cost something in the $50-$100 range for the body composition kind of scan. The machines are actually primarily used (in a different mode) for bone density scans to test for osteoporosis so they're already out there, but they prob. rely on doctor referrals for most of their business so they don't have consumer facing web-sites.
    Awesome, worked like a charm. Found one pretty close to me, but I live in a pretty big city so the odds were pretty good.

Reviving this thread:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...20216-1919.jpg

Estimate please, and if you were me, would you rape advanced novice or lean out a bit?

BW 191 / 5'10

#s: (don't judge too hard, I was on an experiment and just switched back to 5's today.)
    Squat 280 3x5
    Bench 180 x5 / 215 x 1
    Press ??
    Deadlift 350x3

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    Reviving this thread:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...20216-1919.jpg

Estimate please, and if you were me, would you rape advanced novice or lean out a bit?

BW 191 / 5'10

#s: (don't judge too hard, I was on an experiment and just switched back to 5's today.)
    Squat 280 3x5
    Bench 180 x5 / 215 x 1
    Press ??
    Deadlift 350x3

Thanks guys.
    I say about 20%. With those lifts I would eat slightly above maintenance and run advanced novice, then try to lean out after a stall or two. Considering your recent change in programming you might get a good bit of LP without needing much weight gain.

I'd say somewhere between 20-25, probably closer to 20.

Do what makes you happy. You could definitely put on some weight/strength w/o the bodyfat getting out of control.
    Last edited by Tom Green; 02-16-2012 at 10:47 PM.

everyone who posted in this thread is a faggot

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    everyone who posted in this thread is a faggot
    come here, big boy.

thanks guys for the advice, i'll follow it and go on advanced novice, and then switch over to 5-3-1 once i've exhausted that.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast