starting strength gym

Thread: Caber toss

Default Caber toss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does anyone on the forum have experience with training for the caber toss?

I'm trying to think of a barbell movement where the load progress could be monitored and gets at least close to the toss movement. I have turned a few shorter (16ft) cabers and feel the movement is similar to a high pull except that the hands are pronated and close together.

Would a close pronated grip high pull (starting above the knees) be silly or possibly effective. Could this movement damage the elbows?

Phil Stevens has a good training log and it appeared high pulls were used as the explosive movement exercise.

I think a prone grip high pull is too different from a caber toss. Its awkward and not very loadable. When you throw the caber you will have supine hands will you not?

I would think that power pulls/shrugs from the floor would be most useful. That and some curls.

You could also practice throwing sandbags for when you do not have access to the caber. Kettbell work may prove useful too.

In my (limited experience) this is hard to simulate with a barbell. None of the cabers i've thrown have been too heavy, but the length makes them unwieldy. I cut a small caber for practicing the pick in my backyard. Lift barbells to get stronger, and go throw cabers to get better at throwing. I Oly lifts and Highland games. I think the hip extension of the clean is most transferable.

There is also a throwers forum here;

http://fortified-iron.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-26-2012 at 11:54 AM.