starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy does 1 year on 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last edited by stonerider; 04-07-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Well physique wise, 5/3/1 has a lot of room for hypertrophy. Well documented stories like this one make me think twice about my own training routine. Not doing too well with my TM based program atm. It's probably just not for me and/or I'm too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I think it is still possible, even without PED's.

After 1 year of training, I had around a 370 bench, 460 squat, and 550 dl. That was a year of consistant lifting, and I only took a few days off before/after my meet. Now I have been lifting for 3 more months this year, and I have continued to move my bench up to 405 (+35lbs), squat 525 (+75lbs.. this was technique issues as well), and I am testing my DL today. I did do a deload on it, so it might not be much higher than it was at the end of the year. I am a bigger guy, but I did all of this while maintaining BW. I didn't eat to gain weight, since I really don't want to get heavier. I'm just trying to get stronger/maintain BW (at this time).

There are other guys doing well in their second/third year of lifting. Hamburger is still making great gains, and Skiing is making phenomenal progress for his second year of lifitng.
    Skiing and Hamburgerfan are doing amazingly well. I gotta give this guy props tho for maintaining bodyfat %.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    i went from this

is this the time you benched 300?

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    man, you are one retarded fuck-up

- oh and you're an idiot; i just wanted to say that again
    Why are you always so hostile towards people you disagree with?

i'm not

only toward the exceptionally stupid

His traps got massive, but he was a decently strong guy before starting the program so his gains aren't "unworldly" for a year of lifting hard. I'm on 5-3-1 right now but not starting it nearly as strong as this guy (well stronger on bench and press but much weaker on squats and deadlift). I plan to do it for at least a year before I reassess, if it's working I'll stay on it another year.

I'm not saying he did do roids, but it's so common it wouldn't be out of the question or even unlikely. It would be nice if people would include in their testimonials if they did this work cleanly or not as it drastically changes the equation. I tend to think if they don't add "one year on the program and clean" that they used roids, if you make those gains clean it tends to be something people talk up.

But even with roids still outstanding work, he put his time in that's for sure.

Another thing is I bench as much as this guy and he looks about twice my size. I can bench ~300 but I do not look like I can bench 300, not sure why that is.

size and strength are not necessarily related

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    Another thing is I bench as much as this guy and he looks about twice my size. I can bench ~300 but I do not look like I can bench 300, not sure why that is.
    I LOOK a lot stronger than I actually am.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast