starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull ups

Default Pull ups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I cant do any pull ups after lifting. Well, I can do some, but its less every time I try. This pisses me of greatly. Please help.

Week 3 of SS

115 Squat
    70 Bench
    120 Dead

Scorpio

32" inside leg

Are those kilos?

Are you trying the 3 sets as per the program? Because I've been doing pull ups and chin ups since I was 15 and never have I made good progress with 3 sets / low volume. If you have enough time at the gym to take sufficient rest breaks I recommend going for 5 sets with like 3 minute breaks (I like to keep the rest consistent to see where I'm making progress) and trying to increase the later reps each time you come in, i.e. Mon chins: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, Fri chins: 3, 3, 3, 3, 4

I did that a few months ago and got better at chin ups very fast. I actually added reps to the last 2 sets, but wasn't making the bodyweight gains that you will on SS so I wouldn't think it's doable here.

If you're progressing fine on SS why do you need to add them? Especially in week 3
    I just added them to my program (week 6 on SS) and am doing 3 sets to failure on the power clean days. Working great for some extra back work since my power cleans are pretty light

As you do SS and you gain weight BW movements will become much harder. How much weight have you put on so far? So if you can only do 5 pull ups, but gain 20 lbs in 6 weeks and can still do 5 pull ups you've gotten stronger at them. At my fattest I could only do 3 chins, now I can do 15 chins and 20 pull ups, it was all about the extra weight for me.

If you're a begginer I'd do chins and all bw exercises before your lifting or even better on a separate day. Your abs are not up to par, after your squats and deads and presses they're exhausted, that and grip strength are the two biggest issues you have(and are gonna have for some time in the future). Stick to the program, work bigger numbers and then start tackling assistance work.
    But if you're gonna be stubborn, try the fighter pullupp program by Pavel.

The advice above is all good stuff.

I've also used this approach in the past while lifting: Focus on the TOTAL number of pull-ups you do each session. Don't worry about how many sets it takes you to get there. I did pull-ups 3x/week and started off doing like 30 pull-ups per session (you may need to start lower, I was already fairly comfortable with pull-ups). Each workout I would add 1 pull-up. So you will complete more reps in your early sets. By the end of the workout, you may be doing singles or doubles. I did this because I wanted to focus on total work done and it allows for flexibility depending on how you feel on a given day.

I like to do them between sets.. I probably wouldn't do them between sets of bench and press, but between squat and power clean sets you can get a shitload of chins in even if you can only do 2 or 3 reps

YNDTP if you are doing chins between sets. Do them after the main lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    YNDTP if you are doing chins between sets. Do them after the main lifts.
    who gives a fuck if they don't interfere with your lifts? they never interfered with mine, they warmed up my back for squats, bench, and press and they actually felt better than if I didn't do them.

rip says to do chins, he never gives you a template except using the exact same template as for your main lifts. 3 sets of chins to failure sucks dick and won't increase your chinning volume substantially, you will always lose reps on subsequent sets. don't take the chins to failure, leave 1-2 reps in the tank, increase volume through a dickload of sets (which is EASIER when you split up the work throughout the workout) and they will go up

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast