starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Cost for a Gym?

Default Total Cost for a Gym?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So i'd love to take the plunge and make owning a black iron gym my full time gig sometime down the road. I'm 27 and have been stockpiling cash but really have no idea how much is enough. I was just curious if there's anyone out there with some experience who could give a rough estimate of how much it would cost to open the doors...used equipment, security deposits, a month of rent, insurance premiums, software, etc.

The biggest costs are going to be the building (rent and refurb) etc and employees if you have any. These most important factors are highly dependent on your location and who you know. You may have friends who will help you setup/work for free. You may know someone with unused space. What kind of location do you want? and what do you think you need/where are the customers? Go find a similar location and either straight up ask people using the buildings or find a "to let" sign and call the vendor/estate agent.

about tree fiddy

Just a hole in the wall location would suit me just fine. The location I live now (a sketchy part of Dallas to most), seems like a good of place as any for such a gym especially considering there really aren't any powerlifting/strength gyms actually in Dallas (most are just outside in neighboring cities). Not a huge place either, i'd start small and go from there if things actually work out.

As far as equipment, Mostly power racks/cages, benches, dumbells, conditioning equipment, a few bumper plates. Just the standard stuff everyone on these boards uses. I figure i'd pick up the majority of equipment from Craigslist once I really got serious about going ahead with this. I'm a single guy and i'm picturing myself pretty much sacrificing any semblence of a life and living there 24/7 in the beginning, so no "employees" needed to open the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    about tree fiddy
    I'll remember this if I start a gym at Loch Ness.

Think Rip made a video about gym ownership, check the resources. Something about catering to general public

I've seen it, thanks. I was just looking for an estimate on what it would take to open one so I can set some savings goals.

let me preface what i'm about to say with this: i'm not a business owner, i am not a lawyer, and i don't have any business-related education

it seems to me that buying equipment for a commercial gym from craigslist would be a very bad idea, because you don't know what that equipment has been through

from a liability standpoint, the last thing you want is a piece of equipment failing and injuring a member/client/trainee/person

i think it would be a worthwhile investment to get new equipment for anything besides maybe dumbbells or plates

and i don't think anyone can give you a ballpark, because it depends on your: location, size of gym, quantity/types of equipment

with maybe an hour or two of research, you should be able to come up with a rough estimate by yourself (i'm not calling you lazy, fyi)

SR is right. Unanswerable question.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    with maybe an hour or two of research, you should be able to come up with a rough estimate by yourself (i'm not calling you lazy, fyi)
    I was being lazy :-/ Was just hoping there was a quick answer.

I'll do some research this weekend and post my findings and hopefully save the next curious individual some time.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast