starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why does my deadlift suck?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    starting strength coach development program
    I should say too much squat volume relative to the other powerlifts. They are also performed first in every workout ensuring that the bench and deadlift are always done in a fatigue state. Whether or not this is desirable because it mimics a meet is debatable.

Two weeks of SS:
    Squats: 18 sets of 5
    Bench: 9 sets of 5
    Deadlift: 3 sets of 5

I think that a novice powerlifter should use whatever deadlift form suits their anthropometry the most. This usually isn't that hard to tell. I see no particular reason they need to start with the conventional deadlift. People seem to assume that it is a superior movement, but I would argue that. While the conventional deadlift has a longer range of motion from the floor to the lockout, the sumo deadlift successfully recruits more musculature. The sumo stance increases the range of motion at the knees and hips. Several EMG studies show that the sumo deadlift elicits more adductor, quad, and glute activation than a conventional deadlift. The tradeoff comes at the expense of hamstring, lower back, and possibly upperback involvement. Overall though, the sumo deadlift, despite the shorter total range of motion, recruits more muscle mass. It is a viable lift that has useful applications even beyond powerlifting. I think it is important to add a qualification here: novices probably shouldn't start out with a max width sumo stance just like they shouldn't start with a max width bench grip, either.
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 01-28-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456