starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squats without power rack!

Default Squats without power rack!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I guess I'm going to be called Irresponsible for this but here we go. I keep reading on the Internet how a Power Rack is Necessary Equipment for doing SS. I train at home without a power rack. What I do have is a family member to spot me and a low sturdy chair (with armrests) to the left of the squat stand. In the event of a failed rep I squat back down, lean ever so slightly to the left so that the plates on the left side of the barbell rest on the chair and have my spotter remove the plates from the right side of the barbell. Then I simply stand up, the weight remaining on the chair with the barbell pointing slightly to the ceiling (note that I use a short type of barbell). This method seems to be completely safe for me, though admittedly the weight I use now is rather puny (about 103 kg). I had to to this three times sof far and didn't have any problem.

So you can tell me why I am an idiot now, if you please.

couldn't you use two chairs and obviate the need for a spotter?

Build some wooden safety rails?

I considered two chairs but that would require I dumped the weight on them which I'm afraid could break them easily.

I've read about using wooden saw horses to catch the bar. With my abysmal DIY skills it may take I while before I get round to making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatowski View Post
    I considered two chairs but that would require I dumped the weight on them which I'm afraid could break them easily.

I've read about using wooden saw horses to catch the bar. With my abysmal DIY skills it may take I while before I get round to making them.
    Because the squat rack is supposed to save you when you cannot control the bar. If you are squatting without a rack you need to be squatting in a location and with a bar/plates which allows you to dump. You need to know how to dump safely, and you learn that by dumping your fails on the way to that 405 squat, because if you need to dump that you better not be figuring out how to coordinate the arm movement and the jump.
    To recap: You are an idiot because if you are squatting without safeties you should be squatting in a place where you can dump the bar, and if you are squatting in such a place you should be dumping your misses so that if you ever miss a big one you know how to do it. Also leaning this way and that under the bar is a good way to blow up a disc, should you wish to do so.

I was at home over lunch one day as two of my guys (big, young strong guys--laborers) were moving my gun safe for me. I was pacing around the house on a call with a client as they were humping this pig up a couple of steps. The guy in back ended up tripping, sitting down on a landing and the safe lit lightly on his leg--kind of his lap, really. It was very slightly surreal and not violent at all. I mentioned to my client I had to get off the phone and as I moved over to help the kid he decided to try to free himself. As he shook himself loose the leg snapped. We got the safe off of him and I loaded him in my rig and drove him to the ER. Just sayin'.

The other kid wrangled the safe into position by himself while I was gone. Seriously.

this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just get the saw horses... or get bumper plates so you can dump the bar. As is you're putting yourself, your spotter ad your furniture at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just get the saw horses... or get bumper plates so you can dump the bar. As is you're putting yourself, your spotter ad your furniture at risk.
    100% agree.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I think I'll take a trip to Castorama and have a look for those nice metal adjustable saw horses. But one question: won't dropping a loaded bar cause it break in half on collision with the parallel bar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast