starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Starting Position

Default Deadlift Starting Position

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach,

I am just beginning to deadlift and I was wondering if it's okay if I start with the barbell at a lower starting position than where I would be if I lifted the 20kg plates.

I know you recommend putting blocks underneath the barbell, but I don't know if it's gym etiquette.

If you recommend not starting at a lower position can you explain why?

Lift it to standard height because it's better for you. Or use homemade bumpers to do the job until you can use the 20kg plates.

Heeding gym etiquette is great when it contributes to safety in the weight room, but this is a matter of learning technique for a major lift. Do it right. You're not harming anyone by using the blocks.

Why do it this way? Because you're just learning the motion and putting the bar too low will inhibit your ability to keep your back in position for the setup. When you DL, you want to create a consistently repeatable setup, which means the bar ought to be at the same height it will be when you'r'e pulling heavier.

If your gym has aerobic step platforms, you can drag them out of the class-room and stack them to the correct height. Another option is to buy your own ten pound bumper plates and bring them into the gym with you (I like the thicker Hi-Temps for this purpose), which will also come in handy for learning to power clean with lighter weights as well. I'm assuming your gym doesn't have bumpers already, of course.

A lower bar height deadlift is called a deficit deadlift and can be used later in intermediate level training as an accessory lift, but when learning the deadlift, you need to do the deadlift. That means proper bar height from the floor and that should be consistent for all of your novice training.

Thanks everyone! Yea, buying my own bumpers would be a good idea. Any thoughts on my original question Coach Rip?