starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My inexpensive, easy to make homemade jerk boxes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Are there any sort of instructions? Or do we have to just give it our best shot at eye balling whats going on there.

Default Mine didn't last long

I created a set of jerk stands based on the ones made by KAG. Thanks for the idea KAG. I considered the stacking boxes type also, and looked at the plans put out by Greg Everett and Les Simonton. The non-adjustable stands were much cheaper to make. I put mine together in October and also made a pair of knee-high pulling blocks. The total for both came in at $270 before sales tax. I will post a materials list later.

I made several modifications. I used 2x10's for the top frame and cross-pieces, and used particle board (OSB) and rubber for the top surface instead of the 2x12's originally used by KAG. I also used lag bolts to attach the top frame to the 4x4's and the cross-pieces to the top frame. I used 3" (exterior) deck screws to supplement the lag bolts, to attach the bottom frame (which was made with 2x4's), and to connect the OSB and rubber to the top frame. I also put a thin layer of caulk in between the frame and the particle board.

I constructed my stands to be 40.5" tall. I cut my 4x4's to be 39". I had one layer of OSB and one layer of rubber on top of the frame. In hindsight, I wish I would have cut my 4x4's a little shorter so I could have two layers of OSB. I did put two layers on my pulling blocks, and they are about 11.5" tall. The blocks and the stands have the same width and depth dimensions: 23.25" x 35.5".

Overall, these stands did not work that well. I have a 8'x8' platform in my garage that has rubber mats for a top layer. The only place I can use the stands is on the platform. They move around quite a bit. So much so that they must be re-positioned after every set, and occasionally in the middle of a set. Moving the stands with a loaded barbell sitting on them is not easy. Also, they did not hold up that well to use. Last weekend, one of the boards in the top frame of one stand cracked, and a piece broke off one of the cross-pieces. They just did not hold up to the weights I was using. I was doing push jerks with 265 lb when it broke. I used the stands for 16 workouts before they broke. At first I thought that moving around may have contributed to the stand breaking, but the break pattern looks like it just couldn't handle the weight.

I am considering framing in the side of the stands completely, so the frame is wood-on-wood all the way down. I am also going to attach the stands to my platform so they don't move.

Has anyone else had any trouble with stands that have been built like this? Also, has anyone ever attached this type of stand to the ground or to a platform? I would like some thoughts on the best way to attach my stands to my platform.
    Last edited by DGA; 12-23-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Default Materials list

I have pics of the jerk stands showing the damage but they aren't loading.

Here is the parts list:

Tools (already owned)
    5/16" drill bit
    2 drills
    phillips screwdriver bit
    chop saw
    radial arm saw
    cicrcular saw
    utility knife
    measuring tape
    chalk line

Tools (purchased)
    nut driver bit set $4.49
    7/32" drill bit $9.00
    (2) 24" clamps $15.96
    circular saw blade $10.79

Materials
    (4) 4x4x8' $31.88
    (5) 2x10x12' $57.35
    (1) 2x10x8' $7.39
    (1) 2x4x12' $3.89
    (1) 2x4x8' $2.39
    (1) 3/4x4x8 OSB $14.28
    (1) 3/4x2x4 OSB $6.79
    (1) 3/4x4x6 black rubber mat $39.99

(7) 3-1/2" x 5/16" lag bolts, 16 pieces $20.93
    (2) 5/16" flat washers, 82 pieces $4.56
    (1) 5 lb box of 3" deck screws, about 350 pieces $23.48
    (1) 100' of 1/2" nylon rope $15.88
    Last edited by DGA; 12-23-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Did you see how much it would cost for a local welder to make something?
    Not yet. I plan to send out some inquiries after Christmas. Greg Everett had that done a few years ago and it cost about $500. See the comments on this page: Jerks: From the Rack or Blocks by Greg Everett - Olympic Weightlifting - Catalyst Athletics - Olympic Weightlifting

Tried to load images again. Didn't work.

Anybody know how to delete a post?
    Last edited by DGA; 02-07-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Images didn't load.

I ended up framing the inside of each stand with 2x4's, so the cross pieces are supported by wood-on-wood all the way to the floor, as opposed to just hanging off of the 4x4's and the outside 2x10 frame. That wood and the repairs to the broken pieces cost me just over another $100.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    I ended up framing the inside of each stand with 2x4's, so the cross pieces are supported by wood-on-wood all the way to the floor, as opposed to just hanging off of the 4x4's and the outside 2x10 frame. That wood and the repairs to the broken pieces cost me just over another $100.
    Any update on how reinforcement worked out? I'm thinking about jerk blocks and this seems like a good alternative approach to the stackable ones, if it holds up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123