starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press Form Check

Default Bench Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Salut! I've never been coached on this lift. I know it's technically simpler than the other ones, and that's why I want to make sure I'm not missing something. How does it look, please?

It looks like, from the angle of your upper arms, that you might be touching too high up your chest. But the camera angle might be deceiving since the touch point on your chest appears correct. As long as you're not burning a hole in your rotator cuff, I'd stick with it as is. If you feel some impingement, move down your chest some for your touch point.

Is it advisable to hold your breath for the entire set? Assuming you could do it without experiencing enough air hunger that your form suffers (clearly the OP is able to here), would there be any energy cost that's relevant in the timescale of a set? i.e. less oxygen means less ATP production but perhaps that's not a factor during a set.

If the set is not heavy, sure. If the set is heavy, you're just going to top off your breath at the top of each rep - not take a full exhalation / inhalation. You do understand why we exhale - right? There's still plenty of O2 in the air we exhale. It's not all used up. Even if we hold our breath for 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    It looks like, from the angle of your upper arms, that you might be touching too high up your chest. But the camera angle might be deceiving since the touch point on your chest appears correct. As long as you're not burning a hole in your rotator cuff, I'd stick with it as is. If you feel some impingement, move down your chest some for your touch point.
    Yeah, it's hard to tell. To me, the touch point looks pretty close for his upper arm angle. I like a lower touch and more elbow tuck but that's just me and my aging shoulders.

Edit. I'm on my phone and it isn't always obvious what forum I'm in. I apologize for responding in the SS coaches forum. I'll be more observant in the future.
    Last edited by Dag; 01-26-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Is it advisable to hold your breath for the entire set? Assuming you could do it without experiencing enough air hunger that your form suffers (clearly the OP is able to here), would there be any energy cost that's relevant in the timescale of a set? i.e. less oxygen means less ATP production but perhaps that's not a factor during a set.
    For comparison:
    The original post in this thread was the 5th set of a volume day (90% of same week's 1x5RM). Here's a video from an intensity day a couple weeks ago (it's weird-looking cuz it was shot with a wide-angle with the fish-eye removed in post). I top-off after 3, again after 4, and again after 5 as I go for a 6th. The ones after 4 and 5 look like long ones, time-wise, but I keep the breaths fairly shallow; it's like "out-in-out-IN-HOLD!"

Last edited by Chris Lippke; 01-25-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added quoted text to avoid/remedy confusion as to what this post and its video were for

Posting videos taken from weird angles or with some type of distortion is not helpful. I'm seeing two (potential) issues here, and I can't tell if it's the angle, the lens distortion, or if they are, in fact, really there.

BENCH PRESS
    1) Usually shot best from above the head of the lifter looking down at a 45 degree angle (from where the spotter would stand), although from the side is good as long as we can see where the bar touches the chest, as well as the end of the bar.

If the set is not heavy, sure. If the set is heavy, you're just going to top off your breath at the top of each rep - not take a full exhalation / inhalation. You do understand why we exhale - right? There's still plenty of O2 in the air we exhale. It's not all used up. Even if we hold our breath for 30s.
    Thanks. I had it in my head that even though there's O2 left, there's not as much as with a fresh breath, and rate of O2 diffusion into blood might be less. But this was just a hunch. I get that exhaling is important for C02 removal.

Posting videos taken from weird angles or with some type of distortion is not helpful. I'm seeing two (potential) issues here, and I can't tell if it's the angle, the lens distortion, or if they are, in fact, really there.
    That's why I didn't post it here as a legit form check. I just wanted to show spacedriver how I breath during a heavy set.
    Last edited by Chris Lippke; 01-25-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added quoted text to avoid/remedy confusion as to whose comment I was addressing

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    That's why I didn't post it here as a legit form check. I just wanted to show spacedriver how I breath during a heavy set.
    OK, got it. Its helpful if you can quote who/what youre responding to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast