Page 455 of 517 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457465505 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,550 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Has anyone tried this:

How To Build A Mini Deadlift Jack

Basically a dead lift jack made out of 3/4" pipe. I guessing this would be more "cost effective" than the Rogue version. Also would store easier.

I'll report back if I do try it. My rack safety bars are where I load my first set of 45's. So, once you have one pair on the loading is not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fevzay View Post
    Looking for thoughts on plate trees...
    What rack to do have? Many manufacturers will sell you the extra parts to add plate storage to back if you inquire. It really doesn't add that much room, especially since you eliminate the need for the tree on the ground.

I have two of these: Amazon.com : Body Solid GSWT Standard Plate Tree Bar Holder : Palte Tree : Sports & Outdoors

They're great. ~350# of olympic plates (steel and bumpers) and now 95# of standard plates on each. Less than the cost of one Rogue 2.0 tree.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Know a welder? Some c channel, bar stock, and about two hours of labor is all you need for good trees
    I have someone in mind although I'm not positive its worth the trouble (or how long it'd take). Will definitely inquire about it though!

Quote Originally Posted by throwinshapes View Post
    What rack to do have? Many manufacturers will sell you the extra parts to add plate storage to back if you inquire. It really doesn't add that much room, especially since you eliminate the need for the tree on the ground.
    I am getting a Rogue R-3. Definitely want to keep plate storage separate from the rack, so I don't have to move anything out of the way for squatting/benching/etc. I just sold my RML-6100 a few weeks ago. It had plate storage which was nice, but the total footprint was a bit too big in my garage. I can stick the plate tree off to the side and have decent space for one (or two).

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    One (or more) tree for 45s and one for <45s seems good to me.

Don't bother building a mini jack. Build a proper full jack.
    Thanks, that's my thinking right now too.

Side note: I have the Titan full deadlift jack. It was my first and only Titan purchase. Not the prettiest, but it is solid and I think I only paid $67.50 during a sale (no tax or shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I have two of these: Amazon.com : Body Solid GSWT Standard Plate Tree Bar Holder : Palte Tree : Sports & Outdoors

They're great. ~350# of olympic plates (steel and bumpers) and now 95# of standard plates on each. Less than the cost of one Rogue 2.0 tree.
    Thanks, I'll give those a look!

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Mostly useful for noise control I'd guess. It might be significant when you are deadlifting downstairs and people are trying to watch TV on the floor above.
    Maybe. But there are so many gaps in his picture, I really doubt that it's helping much. Perhaps it's plugging some. But just a tiny hole will let in pretty much all the sound. In any case, it's nasty stuff. I'd rip it out or cover it pronto.

Got the Titan flat bench and the Rogue 10kg junior bar. Confirmed the bench is 12" wide and really sturdy. 10kg bar is a great bar for beginners like my wife - same distance between sleeves as a 20kg bar. Customer service rep said since it's the same tensile strength as their standard bars, the maximum weight is limited by the shorter sleeve length.
    Last edited by simplesimon; 08-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fevzay View Post
    Anyone have either of these or have any thoughts on them?

Amazon.com : CAP Barbell 1-Inch Standard Plate Rack : Plate Trees : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : CAP Barbell Plate Rack, 1", Black : Sports & Outdoors

Anyone have any ideas on whether or not it'd be worth it to get something made locally (inspired by WFAC designs)?
    I have the first CAP one, or something extremely similar. It'll handle all the non-45 plates you can throw at it. With 45's and 35's it's a bit wobbly. Not dangerous, just not solid.

I found a very nice Body Solid plate tree on Craigslist for $25. CL may be your best bet if you don't want to spend too much and are willing to spend the time.

Getting something made could be expensive. Steel is not too expensive, but you might have a hard time finding a welder that will work for cheap. Even if you've got money to play with, it's going to be a project that will take some time. On the positive side, it would be pretty cool to get exactly what you want, and you know it's going to last forever...

If you want high quality and your time is precious, you might be best off just buying more Rogue. I've got their 2.0 bench, so I know their stuff is good.

I wonder if you could cobble up a plate tree out of plumbing pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    It's a semi finished basement. Has no AC, and heat is baseboard electric (we never turn heat on in the basement. Doesn't really get all that cold down there even though we live in the northeast.

The area where the gym is, it's a 13x13 room half the walls are exposed foundation the other half is insulated walls.

The room right above it is our family room where we spend a lot of time in. I'm afraid if I take down the insulation it will have a negative effect on the upstairs family room in terms of cold air coming up.
    The tyvek approach would probably be good. Another couple of options would be to replace it with the kraft paper faced insulation. You can staple the kraft paper to the joists. Another option is Roxul. This is made specifically for noise reduction. It doesn't come apart like typical fiberglass insulation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    The tyvek approach would probably be good. Another couple of options would be to replace it with the kraft paper faced insulation. You can staple the kraft paper to the joists. Another option is Roxul. This is made specifically for noise reduction. It doesn't come apart like typical fiberglass insulation.
    The Kraft paper would probably be a nicer looking option than stapling a bunch of tyvek to the ceiling. I'm leaning towards just throwing up the tyvek as I think its the best lazy mans solution. Hopefully it will offer enough protection from dust particles so that I don't end up breathing in fiber glass as I take my deep breaths between squat reps :-) Thanks for the addtional information!