starting strength gym
Page 380 of 517 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382390430480 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    They're the same length and general design as Rogue's, so pretty much in accordance with Titan SOP. They definitely need a few more pictures at various angles so we can get a better idea of how the handle attaches, but it's hard to argue with that price.

I'm hoping that they release their deadlift jack soon.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Titan has farmer walk handles now.
    Why not use a pair of EZ curl bars?

If you have a pair of EZ curls already you certainly can. It's not quite the same. Different length (usually), different pickup and carry height, different balance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Why not use a pair of EZ curl bars?
    Offsetting the handle above the center of balance means you don't use your wrist to keep the bar level.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Titan has farmer walk handles now. Really tempting.

Pair of Titan 60" Farmers Walk Handles Carry Bars
    I've had my eye on the Spud Farmer's Walk Handles for a few weeks now because I couldn't justify spending on legit handles. I even tried to DIY them using stuff I found @ Harbor Freight but this is the same price. Thanks for the heads up.

I highly recommend these top loaders that I purchased from Pitbull Strongman Equipment. Loading and unloading is a breeze.
    You can find the maker (Alan) on facebook.

Those look nice. I'll assume that they're a tad higher than $80.

I finally scored a decent lat pulldown with low row (Keys Fitness) today. Guy threw in 9 attachments plus some standard weights, too. My much larger Magnum Biangular Transformer will be on the sell block as soon as I work up the ambition to disassemble it and haul it upstairs to the garage.

Last edited by murphyreedus; 04-21-2017 at 07:25 AM.

I should probably introduce myself first, I'm Mark D, 53 year old male, been doing barbell training for about a year but decided to try it the right (SS) way now. I live in suburban New Jersey.

I'll probably be building a garage gym later this year (after some other projects which will free up the space). I'm currently going to the local Gold's Gym which, while not ideal, hasn't been too bad. I'm planning a home gym for convenience and scheduling, Gold's opens at 5:00 AM, and I need to be in my car, showered and dressed and on my way to work, by 5:50 in order to get to work on time. After work the gym is packed, but a home gym frees up that option if I don't feel like getting up at the asscrack of dawn. In addition my wife has been talking about trying barbell training, but she feels self-conscious in a public gym (the garage gym was actually her suggestion).

I've pretty much decided on my basic equipment, a Titan T3 power rack, a bench from Titan (the one with wheels on one end so it'll be easier for my wife to move), and a B&R bar. Iron plates will be sourced locally, either Craigslist, garage sales, flea markets or (last resort) buying new. At age 53 I don't see Olympic lifts happening, so I don't think I'll need bumper plates, at least not for now.

I have a couple questions about the platform. The garage gets some water in it when it rains really hard (my area has high water anyway, I've dug holes to plant flowers and had them fill half way with water before I could get the plant in). Not much, just some damp spots. My concern is with the plywood, would it be advisable to put horse stall mats under the plywood first to protect them from moisture (I assume the mats are solid, i.e. no holes in them, so they'd form a barrier). Would it be a good idea to paint or otherwise seal the plywood? Or is there some alternative to plywood that would be stable in a damp environment like that? I'd still put the horse stall mats on top.

Speaking of horse mats, could they go under where I stand as well, instead of the wood in the middle with horse mats under the plates? I'd cut away the mats to anchor the rack into the wood.

I'd rather not drill into the concrete floor of the garage since we'll be moving someday, or I'd just use a couple layers of horse mats and anchor the rack to the concrete.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I should probably introduce myself first, I'm Mark D, 53 year old male, been doing barbell training for about a year but decided to try it the right (SS) way now. I live in suburban New Jersey.

I'll probably be building a garage gym later this year (after some other projects which will free up the space). I'm currently going to the local Gold's Gym which, while not ideal, hasn't been too bad. I'm planning a home gym for convenience and scheduling, Gold's opens at 5:00 AM, and I need to be in my car, showered and dressed and on my way to work, by 5:50 in order to get to work on time. After work the gym is packed, but a home gym frees up that option if I don't feel like getting up at the asscrack of dawn. In addition my wife has been talking about trying barbell training, but she feels self-conscious in a public gym (the garage gym was actually her suggestion).

I've pretty much decided on my basic equipment, a Titan T3 power rack, a bench from Titan (the one with wheels on one end so it'll be easier for my wife to move), and a B&R bar. Iron plates will be sourced locally, either Craigslist, garage sales, flea markets or (last resort) buying new. At age 53 I don't see Olympic lifts happening, so I don't think I'll need bumper plates, at least not for now.

I have a couple questions about the platform. The garage gets some water in it when it rains really hard (my area has high water anyway, I've dug holes to plant flowers and had them fill half way with water before I could get the plant in). Not much, just some damp spots. My concern is with the plywood, would it be advisable to put horse stall mats under the plywood first to protect them from moisture (I assume the mats are solid, i.e. no holes in them, so they'd form a barrier). Would it be a good idea to paint or otherwise seal the plywood? Or is there some alternative to plywood that would be stable in a damp environment like that? I'd still put the horse stall mats on top.

Speaking of horse mats, could they go under where I stand as well, instead of the wood in the middle with horse mats under the plates? I'd cut away the mats to anchor the rack into the wood.

I'd rather not drill into the concrete floor of the garage since we'll be moving someday, or I'd just use a couple layers of horse mats and anchor the rack to the concrete.

Thanks in advance!
    There would be seems in the mats so not a perfect barrier.
    Some people prefer to stand on mats some on wood. All you. My buddy build his second platform w wood center. Tore it out and went back to mats. Some people say the rule is if you powerlift mats, if you do any oly use wood. Whatever. Do what makes you happy.

I have 3 layers osb and my rack screwed to that not concrete. It's fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Is the water seeping into the garage from below through cracks in the floor? I wonder if you could build your platform on top of a heavy tarp.