starting strength gym
Page 384 of 517 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386394434484 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Haha. Yeah, in the neighborhood we were looking at, parking in the street would be rare and probably piss off the neighbors. The driveway is ample to park 2 cars.

There is a screened in porch that is big enough for a gym. We could technically close that off and make it a gym. But, that's $$$ and the house is at the top of our budget already.
    Won't a lifting shed piss off the neighbors too? The kit sheds are pretty ugly. I wouldn't really want to see one next door. [Most exurb neighbor hoods probably prevent them, along with cars parked in the front yard and that kind of thing.]

Where I'm at almost no one has functional garages. The few people who do seem to use them for storage. I forgot what it was like to park in a garage. My tiny 1 car garage is filled with boxes, waiting to become a gym. . . . . My only worry right now is that music and banging plates will bother the neighbors. So little sounds escapes from basements, that you can really turn it up. And they stay very cool. Ceiling height is the issue. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    So little sounds escapes from basements, that you can really turn it up.
    Hope this is true all around. I'm in a condo, with a neighbor above basement on first floor (we're on second floor, really weird setup), hopefully noise doesn't travel up.
    And they stay very cool. Ceiling height is the issue. . . .
    Hopefully in winter a little warmer.
    I think of I remove a section of drywall from the ceiling I can press between joists. If I'm really careful/motivated/crazy might even attempt doing Olympic lifting, just have to make sure I don't fail to the side and take out the neighbor's floor structure...

Won't a lifting shed piss off the neighbors too? The kit sheds are pretty ugly. I wouldn't really want to see one next door. [Most exurb neighbor hoods probably prevent them, along with cars parked in the front yard and that kind of thing.]

Where I'm at almost no one has functional garages. The few people who do seem to use them for storage. I forgot what it was like to park in a garage. My tiny 1 car garage is filled with boxes, waiting to become a gym. . . . . My only worry right now is that music and banging plates will bother the neighbors. So little sounds escapes from basements, that you can really turn it up. And they stay very cool. Ceiling height is the issue. . . .
    Yeah, a shed isn't happening. Most HOA's won't allow a storage shed, let alone one big enough for a gym. Plus, the lots we are looking at are around 1/3 acre, and I'd prefer to have the land than take up the space with a shed.

I've actually seen a handful of houses with high garage ceilings (like 16-20ft). They have steps that lead into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Hope this is true all around. I'm in a condo, with a neighbor above basement on first floor (we're on second floor, really weird setup), hopefully noise doesn't travel up.

Hopefully in winter a little warmer.
    I think of I remove a section of drywall from the ceiling I can press between joists. If I'm really careful/motivated/crazy might even attempt doing Olympic lifting, just have to make sure I don't fail to the side and take out the neighbor's floor structure...
    NO! The noise travels up. It just doesn't travel out. . It's kind of like magic. My first floor vibrates and shakes . . You can get away with lifting, probably, but not loud music. If you own the place, I'd pull off the drywall and seal the place up. You'll have to seal all air gaps first. Then I'd fill the bays with insulation and then work on decoupling the drywall from the joists. Put a layer of Mlv, then closed cell foam, and then drywall. (I did something like this in my car.) . . . I bet the floor above has something similar, but they didn't count on the kind of noise that you might be making unless you are in a very strange building.

Yes, many basements are relatively warm in the winter.
    Last edited by iamsmuts; 04-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    We park in the drive way now, but we aren't going to buy 2x the house and not have garage parking. Or, at least, I want her to be able to have garage parking. I don't care as much, but I do like parking in the garage... keeps the car warmer, cleaner, etc.

Warm clean car, or home gym? The choice is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Warm clean car, or home gym? The choice is clear.
    Get a remote starter

NO! The noise travels up. It just doesn't travel out. . It's kind of like magic. My first floor vibrates and shakes . . You can get away with lifting, probably, but not loud music. If you own the place, I'd pull off the drywall and seal the place up. You'll have to seal all air gaps first. Then I'd fill the bays with insulation and then work on decoupling the drywall from the joists. Put a layer of Mlv, then closed cell foam, and then drywall. (I did something like this in my car.) . . . I bet the floor above has something similar, but they didn't count on the kind of noise that you might be making unless you are in a very strange building.
    Ah damn. We do (or will) own the place. But I'm not sure to what extent between basement and first floor. I need to look at the association rules to see how that's done. Music I'm not too woried about, it's more the deadlifting. Guess that means no olympic lifting though. I'll have to be sure to get the platform done well. What do you do floor-wise?
    Yes, many basements are relatively warm in the winter.
    Good, I'd much rather be warm than cold.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Get a remote starter
    Yep.
    Also, you could squat and bench in the basement in a rack.
    Press and deadlift in the garage. Doesn't use as much space.
    Power clean in the driveway. Scare the neighbors.

What about switching to a fold out rack? The hard part would be a moveable platform.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    What about switching to a fold out rack? The hard part would be a moveable platform.
    Yep, I have one, plus a full rack. My fiance mentioned putting a foldout in the garage, and finding somewhere for the other rack. Right now, the foldout rack is just over stall mats. Still a bitch to setup -- so it's always out.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I guess I was being a female here where I was venting but not actually looking for suggestions. All of your suggestions suck :P

I have a remote starter in my car. We don't want to park outside (although I truly don't care myself). I'm not building a shed in a neighborhood (except a small one for a mower/lawn tools if allowed). I don't want the gym in 2 separate places.

LOL

All I was saying is we want to move, don't need to move, adding the gym criteria makes it a bit more difficult, but we aren't settling because whatever we do is going to be a huge upgrade, and will not be planning on moving again for the foreseeable future.

NOW, what I really want... is a 3 car garage and to actually close off the 1 car garage bay and keep it completely separate from everything else. Maybe a window on the side.. have the entire thing setup for a gym.

Or, a walkout basement with windows and high ceilings.