starting strength gym
Page 395 of 517 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    Crepinsek SSB arrived yesterday, 5/17/17. It was delivered via UPS ground. I have not had the opportunity to use it as of yet. I can tell you this...it is built like a brick shithouse. It weighs over 60 lbs (I think it is about 63 lbs) and is solid. Ralph was great to work with and was very straightforward. Crepinsek is not like EliteFTS or Rogue...I think it is only Ralph and maybe another guy that run his small business. With that being said, it took a bit of time to get the bar to arrive to my house. He is definitely old-school and I paid him with a personal check. I sent the check out on 5/2 and the bar arrived on 5/17. So it was about a two week turnaround. I will post pics later tonight when I get home from work. The bar is powder coated black. He threw in a pair of short stub handles (5") that I attached after unpacking the bar.

I only found out about Crepinsek while I had been searching for an SSB online - it was really by accident. Louie Simmons carries his bar on his website. However, I wanted to purchase directly from Ralph since he is the originator of the bar made famous by Dr. Squat. It is also a bit cheaper to go through Ralph as I'm guessing there is a slight markup on Westside. Otherwise, during our conversations, I was not aware of any other online vendors carrying his product (I could be wrong).

I will probably mess around with the bar tonight as it is a deload week for me. Let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks - photos and further description to follow tonight.
    http://i.imgur.com/MuA0UGhm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nPFIeQ9m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ogkqU0Hm.jpg

I apologize for the links...I did not have a chance to use the bar last night - it was BP deload day. However, I will use the bar today or tomorrow, as squats are next.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    As long as you are not doing snatches, or jerks, or are a hysterical crossfitter, I don't know that the bar is going to go more than 2 feet on a clean bail. And if (royal) you do them facing away from the cage, and need to dump to avoid injury or something, the bar will hit whatever else is in the garage, but that's better than getting hurt.
    That's good intentions and all, but if the ballistically flying weighted bar with bouncy plates happens to escape your ability to control it, the only safety measure you have is enough space for it to land and not bounce off a bunch of shit to turn you into the next Kevin Ogar.

I have trouble picturing a way a failed clean can end up crashing down onto your back...
    First one. Might not land on the neck but can fuck you up other ways.

Here is where the distinction between a "clean" and a "power clean" is important. The latter is much less likely to fall backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    You've clearly never had a bail from a lift.
    Actually, I have had to bail before. I've failed plenty of reps. You jump straight backwards. The power rack is to either side of you. There is plenty of space to jump backwards if it is just you and not the bar. This is a good reason not to buy bumpers like the Hi-Temps. You don't want bumpers that are going to bounce everywhere when you drop them.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Here is where the distinction between a "clean" and a "power clean" is important. The latter is much less likely to fall backwards.
    Right, well, catastrophic fails gonna cat. But >75% of those were not cleans at all, and of those, I don't think any were power cleans. And of the failures, having >4' just means the person fell down onto the platform, instead of off it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Actually, I have had to bail before. I've failed plenty of reps. You jump straight backwards. The power rack is to either side of you. There is plenty of space to jump backwards if it is just you and not the bar. This is a good reason not to buy bumpers like the Hi-Temps. You don't want bumpers that are going to bounce everywhere when you drop them.
    Y'all can do/believe what you want, and I hope you never get hurt from a missed clean, but I've seen bad shit happen even with plenty of space. I stand by my comment that 4' (or less for some of y'all) of space for any Olympic lift or its variant is insufficient. I would never recommend less than 6' of platform, and even that is pushing it in my opinion.

All that said, power cleans are stupid, and unless you're an Olympic lifter you don't need to do them anyway.

That's good intentions and all, but if the ballistically flying weighted bar with bouncy plates happens to escape your ability to control it, the only safety measure you have is enough space for it to land and not bounce off a bunch of shit to turn you into the next Kevin Ogar.
    Ya. I really don't like the idea of crashing into things when I'm largely out of control or having a bar rebound onto my legs. . . . . I've got an 8'8" wide garage with block walls on both sides. I've been worried about this same issue. I was going to wall mount half of a Titan T3, but that only leaves me around 6 feet between the uprights and the wall. This scares me. Facing away from the uprights could be really bad if you fall off to the side or flail an arm . . . Facing the uprights and I've got a wall to my back. I don't like either option. Even if I pad the wall, it could still be bad. . . . A foldout rack would improve things, I supposed. I'll probably buy one. . . . But I'm thinking that fast lifts might not the best idea in very restricted spaces. They just aren't worth it.

Y'all can do/believe what you want, and I hope you never get hurt from a missed clean, but I've seen bad shit happen even with plenty of space. I stand by my comment that 4' (or less for some of y'all) of space for any Olympic lift or its variant is insufficient. I would never recommend less than 6' of platform, and even that is pushing it in my opinion.

All that said, power cleans are stupid, and unless you're an Olympic lifter you don't need to do them anyway.
    Yeah I have about 7' of depth in my gym (lame), with a rower behind me and my bumper weights on horizontal stand in front of me. It makes me a tad bit nervous when I go heavy on Oly stuff. I might start moving the rower up out the way when I lift. I'm most concerned about tripping backwards and hitting my head on something (rower or wall) on a bailout. It would have to be a catastrophic bail, one I've never even been close to achieving (lol), but it only takes one time.

My half of our 2 car garage. With a little strongman flare.

Titan T-3 36" deep rack w/ multi grip pull up bar
    Titan spotter arms
    Diy platform
    Diy Bar holder and whiteboard
    Adjustable bench
    Unknown brand GHD
    4-45lb bumpers
    8-45lb iron/coated plates
    Tons of change plates

Bars:
    Rogue Ohio power bar
    Fringe sport 45lb Axle
    Junk Chinese bar that's bending
    Farmer's handles
    12" Log bar

Odds and ends:
    5" pulling blocks
    #210 sandbag
    Loading platform (goes on top of spotter arms)
    Assorted bands for accommodating resistance
    40lb dumbells

Gets the job done!

starting strength coach development program
    I have a bit of a dilemma, hoping y'all can help me out.
    I'm planning on a home gym in the basement, but have recently started lifting at an Oly gym twice a week. I want to continue training the Olympic lifts, but also want to train at home. The problem is I'm going to be in the basement with a 90" ceiling. I have another 10" or so once I remove drywall between joists, and with a bar overhead I can just fit in the 90" (but I'll need a platform, so another ~2 1/2"). Granted, snatches should clear the 90", and the only time I'm fully extended overhead is after recovering from a jerk, or pressing. These should be controlled enough to make sure I end up between joists, but is there anything I'm not thinking about here?

Regarding the rack and platform size with Olympic lifting, I have the space so I'm gonna do a 12' x 8' platform so that I'm not remotely close to the rack.
    Last edited by damufunman; 05-19-2017 at 11:18 AM.