starting strength gym
Page 399 of 517 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449499 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Which rack do you have that you can press in?
    I do seated press.

Though this weekend was standing press form straps in a rml 490 100"

6' and I've always pressed inside of my rack. Elite classic 3x3. I think I just got lucky that the one place in my tiny basement gym that the rack seemed to fit, is aligned with the floor joists. Being a 3x3 rack doesn't leave much room for a sloppy press though.

Just to get back to the power clean discussion; could the power cleans be used in the same manner as the light day of advanced novice, TM or HLM?
    Not as a deadlift type training stress but to promote recovery with blood flow, while preventing detraining?

FWIW I sometimes find it better to skip light squat days, as rather than promote recovery, it seems to add to the overall systemic fatigue. I find that the day off promotes recovery even better.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Just to get back to the power clean discussion; could the power cleans be used in the same manner as the light day of advanced novice, TM or HLM?
    Not as a deadlift type training stress but to promote recovery with blood flow, while preventing detraining?

FWIW I sometimes find it better to skip light squat days, as rather than promote recovery, it seems to add to the overall systemic fatigue. I find that the day off promotes recovery even better.
    I would rather do rows/pulldowns/chins.

Default Basement Setup

Bought a Rouge R3 rack. Loved it big time but wanted to store my plates on the rack but in doing so i wouldn't be able to bench press inside the rack. Rouge doesn't sell an add like this so i fabricated some 2x3" 11 gauge steel. Had father in-law help with the stick welding. You can see the difference in color on the rear section, not perfect but it keeps the weights off the floor. Wanted to hang them on the wall but was worried i bring a wall down with a non load bearing 2x4'' wall.

before with the stock R3 rack. (didnt have a budget for the R6 at the time, 750$ vs 1500$)

My Uprights to match height and 17" cross members. I bought the storage plate holders from Rouge. Drilling the 5/8 holes were not easy even with the new drill press i had to get.

Finished the add on and extended the platform.
    Last edited by Ultarnr75; 05-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultarnr75 View Post
    Bought a Rouge R3 rack. Loved it big time but wanted to store my plates on the rack but in doing so i wouldn't be able to bench press inside the rack. Rouge doesn't sell an add like this so i fabricated some 2x3" 11 gauge steel. Had father in-law help with the stick welding. You can see the difference in color on the rear section, not perfect but it keeps the weights off the floor. Wanted to hang them on the wall but was worried i bring a wall down with a non load bearing 2x4'' wall.

before with the stock R3 rack. (didnt have a budget for the R6 at the time, 750$ vs 1500$)

My Uprights to match height and 17" cross members. I bought the storage plate holders from Rouge. Drilling the 5/8 holes were not easy even with the new drill press i had to get.

Images busted

I picked up 8 cast iron 20kg plates at the weekend. Was playing around with them all loaded on the bar last night and thought that what should have been 180kg felt pretty heavy. Turns out that they're all overweight by at least 1kg with three of them over 22kg. By a stroke of luck they total almost exactly 170kg instead of 160 so the math is still ok once they're all loaded.

They look like this:

and they look the same on the other side i.e. not machined.

Anyone modified cast iron plates to calibrate them? There's an old SS thread where Rip suggests drilling 1/2" holes, but I'll need to drill around 80 per plate (I think) to get the 22kg ones down to 20. Could I attack them with an angle grinder?

I'll probably just leave well alone but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has any clever ideas.

Pics please

Having trouble with my photo settings. Made sure the settings are public

r3b4 - Google Drive

rack - Google Drive

platform - Google Drive

starting strength coach development program

Seems like you could have just made the entire rack yourself! Nice work.

I see that you're a quarter round should match the floor rather than the baseboards kind of guy. Interesting. To me that's like having a preference for Pepsi over Coke. (Not that I've had either in a long time. . . .)