starting strength gym
Page 426 of 517 FirstFirst ... 326376416424425426427428436476 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,260 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Build the platform now. It only takes a couple of hours, including buying the materials. The only thing that takes longer is if you put a finish on the plywood.
    Agreed. Longest part for me was being OCD about which sheets of 3/4 ply to get. I wanted the straightest and flattest!

I only got the keys to the house yesterday, so moving house will have to take precedent over gym building for the time being, lest I anger the wife. Although I might just be able to sneak away for long enough to grab the plywood on Monday if I'm lucky.

Will probably have to look at building a longer than normal rack since I'll be installing a Rogue RML 690. Not cheap (particularly in Australia) but I figure buy once and buy quality.

Currently have horse stall mats down. Starting to deadlift again so getting plywood today or tomorrow. Do you guys cut the horse stall mats to fit on each end like a typical platform you see? Or do you put the horse stall mat over the entire platform? My stall mat is the same dimensions my plywood will be so I was thinking about just leaving it as is continuing to stand on the stall mat rather than having the plywood in the middle. Any advantages/disadvantages either way?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Are you surprised by that? It's a deadlift bar, so 27mm is standard,
    I'm surprised because I did not know that.
    For some reason I'd expected it to be 29mm or larger due to heavier weights used.
    But now it's obvious to me that the purpose is to flex more to make the bottom portion of the lift easier.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I'm surprised because I did not know that.
    For some reason I'd expected it to be 29mm or larger due to heavier weights used.
    But now it's obvious to me that the purpose is to flex more to make the bottom portion of the lift easier.
    No. The purpose is better grip. 27mm with sharp knurl is much better than 29mm for grip purposes. Like, much, much better.

The flex is actually pretty minimal. Difference between the ODB and the OPB @600lbs is 0.65" at the apex which is about 1/2" less rom. Woo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    No. The purpose is better grip. 27mm with sharp knurl is much better than 29mm for grip purposes. Like, much, much better.

The flex is actually pretty minimal. Difference between the ODB and the OPB @600lbs is 0.65" at the apex which is about 1/2" less rom. Woo.

Aha, thank you Cody. I learned something. Hence the comments about doing DOH grip to 500lbs, which seems pretty heavy.
    Do any powerlifting feds employ a 27mm deadlift bar in the lift? Or is it mostly for training?

Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    aha, thank you cody. I learned something. Hence the comments about doing doh grip to 500lbs, which seems pretty heavy.
    Do any powerlifting feds employ a 27mm deadlift bar in the lift? Or is it mostly for training?
    uspa

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Aha, thank you Cody. I learned something. Hence the comments about doing DOH grip to 500lbs, which seems pretty heavy.
    Like Manveer said, USPA is the big one (it's the biggest rival to the USAPL). Here's a full comparison. All credit to Izzy.

Powerlifting Federations | PowerliftingToWin

Went to look at a house today.

It has 2 garages. One is an oversized 2 car garage, original with the house. The other is an oversized 1 car garage addition ,connected to the house as well, and is both heated and air conditioned, and has Bose speakers. Hello new garage gym!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Went to look at a house today.

It has 2 garages. One is an oversized 2 car garage, original with the house. The other is an oversized 1 car garage addition ,connected to the house as well, and is both heated and air conditioned, and has Bose speakers. Hello new garage gym!!

Holy crap nice find! The best I've seen in our area was a 2.5 car, and I believe it was out of our price range. Now that we're *fingers crossed* hoping to close next week, I'm already thinking about our next place and how either a tall basement or large, climate-controlled garage (or two!) is going to be necessary. Or maybe I'll just rent a warehouse or something and open a gym. Seems more likely at this point than finding the perfect house...