starting strength gym
Page 433 of 517 FirstFirst ... 333383423431432433434435443483 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeofanduril View Post
    Here is my garage gym. Picked up the Rogue S1 rack, plates, and bench from Craigslist. Bought the bar new (Rogue B&R), as well as the spotter arms and a cheap Titan mini bar jack. Did my first training session last night. I'm happy with the setup but will need to come up with some heat for the winter and a window AC unit.
    Looks very much like my setup. One handy and inexpensive option is a second pair of j-hooks.
    I make do with a big fan in the summer, and dressing warm in the winter here in Ohio.

How do you like that deadlift jack? I'm planning to get one when my puny deadlift (or my son's) stays over 315 for working sets consistently. I'm debating whether to get a mini-jack or a big both-ends-at-once version.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Looks very much like my setup. One handy and inexpensive option is a second pair of j-hooks.
    I make do with a big fan in the summer, and dressing warm in the winter here in Ohio.

How do you like that deadlift jack? I'm planning to get one when my puny deadlift (or my son's) stays over 315 for working sets consistently. I'm debating whether to get a mini-jack or a big both-ends-at-once version.
    I've only used the mini jack once so far. For $30 it does the job. If I had the space I'd get a full size one. My deadlift is nothing to be proud of at this point but with the annoying ribbed finish on the sleeves of the B&R bar the lift makes it a lot easier to get the plates on and off.

I think I will try to get another set of j hooks. I'll keep one at squat/press level and one at bench level.
    Last edited by bladeofanduril; 07-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Here is my garage gym. Picked up the Rogue S1 rack, plates, and bench from Craigslist. Bought the bar new (Rogue B&R), as well as the spotter arms and a cheap Titan mini bar jack. Did my first training session last night. I'm happy with the setup but will need to come up with some heat for the winter and a window AC unit.

Is that an impact driver I see on the shelf? Hahahaha

I'd worry that the paint inside the holes is going to chip off an make a mess.

That Titan bench looks interesting. Is it 12" wide or just 10"?

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Is that an impact driver I see on the shelf? Hahahaha

I'd worry that the paint inside the holes is going to chip off an make a mess.

That Titan bench looks interesting. Is it 12" wide or just 10"?
    Just a drill with a big ass battery. Haha

Yup, the ribbing on the bar sleeves is scraping the paint off the plates. Oh well.

The bench measures 10.25" across the pad. Supposed to support up to 1000lbs, and I picked it up new in box for $85. Can't complain. This was a "low budget" project. :-)

Here is a decent article by Ken Leistner on home gyms. The prices are a bit dated, but the points are still valid.

The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: Ken Leistner on Home and Commercial Gym Training (1981)

Just a drill with a big ass battery. Haha

Yup, the ribbing on the bar sleeves is scraping the paint off the plates. Oh well.

The bench measures 10.25" across the pad. Supposed to support up to 1000lbs, and I picked it up new in box for $85. Can't complain. This was a "low budget" project. :-)
    Paint wearing off the center hole is just part of the break-in process for painted plates...

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Paint wearing off the center hole is just part of the break-in process for painted plates...
    Yup. I'll keep the holes lightly oiled so they don't rust.

Yup. I'll keep the holes lightly oiled so they don't rust.
    The friction of sliding them on and off the bar will probably do a good enough job of keeping them from rusting.

Titan's website says the bench should be 12" across the pad...is this a known discrepancy?
    Last edited by simplesimon; 07-28-2017 at 02:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    Titan's website says the bench should be 12" across the pad...is this a known discrepancy?
    That's why I asked. I think they are making them 12" now, but it worries me. I'm reluctant to order one not knowing for sure.