starting strength gym
Page 446 of 517 FirstFirst ... 346396436444445446447448456496 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just installed a single layer of horse stall matts 0.75" thick on top of a concrete floor. Do you think this is enough protection? I'm not doing any lifts in which I drop weights from shoulder height. Deads and Power Cleans, and I touch them down as gently as I can.
    Last edited by JLB105; 08-18-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    Found a Northern Lights Roman Chair / Hyper Extension chair on CL. Looks like its in great shape. Guy is asking $150, says he won't go below $140. What do you think, should I pull the trigger on this? Looks like a solid well made piece of equipment. And hyper extensions (something I love doing) is pretty much the only thing I am unable to do in my home gym.
    Seems high to me for a 90 degree hyper, based on how many I see sit on the local CL at $100 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Seems high to me for a 90 degree hyper, based on how many I see sit on the local CL at $100 or less.
    I thought so too. I first offered $100. Brand new it looks like this hyper MSRP is $350.

I'm in in rush, maybe I will keep looking at CL over the next few months. I'd love to get lucky and score a reverse hyper.

I thought so too. I first offered $100. Brand new it looks like this hyper MSRP is $350.

I'm in in rush, maybe I will keep looking at CL over the next few months. I'd love to get lucky and score a reverse hyper.
    Huh, says $198USD on the Fitness Depot site, unless you are looking at something else.

Northern Lights Roman Chair/Back Hyperextension | Fitness Depot

I built a reverse hyper out of wood and an old plate tree. Works fairly well. I have seen them on CL several times, but they are still far too expensive on the used market. For example:

Westside Barbelle - Roller Reverse Hyperextension - health and beauty - by owner - household sale
    Last edited by murphyreedus; 08-18-2017 at 01:41 PM.

I've got the guy down to $125. I think I'll pull the trigger on it. It's about $100 savings from buying brand new (when factoring shipping).

How much space do you think I should leave between the back of the rack and the wall? The room I'm setting up my gym in is 8'3" wide by 13' long. I'll be bolting down my rack along the long wall. I purchased a Rogue R3 and it should be delivered next week.

The outside depth of the rack is 30". The room is 99" wide. So now I'm left with 69" inches. I was thinking 12-16" from the wall I'd install the rack. So if I do 16", now I'm left with 53" of usable space in front of the rack.

At times I'll probably be squating outside the rack with spotter arms and a monolift. I will probably be deadlifting and doing power cleans in this space. And there is a chance I might want to bench on the outside posts with monolift.

With that in mind. Is 53" enough? Or should I bolt the R3 closer to the wall? The only reason I was thinking 16" is if I was benching inside the rack and someone was spotting me. It would give enough space for someone to slide behind the rack. As of now I'm not planning on storing any weights on the rack as I purchased a weight tree. However this may change. I might add a couple of plate posts as low as possible on the back posts to put some 45's on. Figured it might be nice to keep some 45's close by to the rack would make it convenient loading the bar.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Last edited by JLB105; 08-19-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    53" is enough to do some not-too-serious power cleans.
    53" is plenty for some serious Pendlay Rows

How much space do you think I should leave between the back of the rack and the wall? The room I'm setting up my gym in is 8'3" wide by 13' long. I'll be bolting down my rack along the long wall. I purchased a Rogue R3 and it should be delivered next week.

The outside depth of the rack is 30". The room is 99" wide. So now I'm left with 69" inches. I was thinking 12-16" from the wall I'd install the rack. So if I do 16", now I'm left with 53" of usable space in front of the rack.

At times I'll probably be squating outside the rack with spotter arms and a monolift. I will probably be deadlifting and doing power cleans in this space. And there is a chance I might want to bench on the outside posts with monolift.

With that in mind. Is 53" enough? Or should I bolt the R3 closer to the wall? The only reason I was thinking 16" is if I was benching inside the rack and someone was spotting me. It would give enough space for someone to slide behind the rack. As of now I'm not planning on storing any weights on the rack as I purchased a weight tree. However this may change. I might add a couple of plate posts as low as possible on the back posts to put some 45's on. Figured it might be nice to keep some 45's close by to the rack would make it convenient loading the bar.

What do you guys think I should do?
    I revise my earlier post ...

23 inches from the back of the upright to the wall will give you 18.5 inches from the edge of a bar loaded with a 450mm plate to the wall, which makes it pretty easy to get around, and for your spotter to get back from the bar while you're benching. It also prevents your face from being so up close to the wall if you squat facing it.

Last edited by hollismb; 08-19-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks for measuring that for me!

I've got a question about drilling the pilot holes for bolting the rack to the floor. Can I use my normal cordless dewalt drill with a special drill bit for concrete? Or do I need to use a specific hammer drill for this type of job?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for measuring that for me!

I've got a question about drilling the pilot holes for bolting the rack to the floor. Can I use my normal cordless dewalt drill with a special drill bit for concrete? Or do I need to use a specific hammer drill for this type of job?
    You literally won't make it 3 millimeters into concrete without a hammer drill. You can rent them at many hardware stores.