starting strength gym
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: the pants problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Great post.

You can get tailored shirts pretty inexpensively at www.ModernTailor.com. The price depends on the fabric chosen; casual shirts might be in the $70 range, but a nice white dress shirt can range up to $120 or so. It might take a couple of tries to get your measurements perfect. I may have outgrown the ones I had made last year.

What do you do for suits? I couldn't find an off-the-rack suit that could be made to fit, so I had to have one custom made. I only wear a suit once or twice per year, so that was aggravating.
    I should have added the caveat that I haven't found tailored shirts to be cost-effective for me, but for fat hobbits like atb5161, that might actually be the best move. It just so happens that I can find Rack Trim-Fit shirts that fit the way I like them.

I also should have added that if the waist is the right fit but you're gaining mass in the shoulder area, try playing around with the neck size. Adding a half-inch in the neck is a good way to get the top of the shirt a little roomier, and if you're not strangling yourself with a tie, nobody's going to notice the fit difference around your throat.

For suits, I have just gotten lucky so far altering off-the-rack. I spend most of my time in business casual, and can get away with throwing on a sport coat to go to a meeting, so my suit usage is once a month or so. My next suit is going to come from Black Lapel or Indochino, which let you "tailor" the suit for way less than you would pay to get an honest custom suit. We'll see how it works out.

Also, since the cost of clothing is in the middlemen and not in manufacturing, you could always learn to speak Chinese or Vietnamese and order shirts directly from a manufacturer. Get measured, look up a manufacturer on AliBaba or some shit, and get an order of 10 perfectly tailored, high-quality white or simply patterned shirts for like $80 + $50 shipping. I've never done it, but I have some clients who swear by it (minus the whole learning Vietnamese thing).

Quote Originally Posted by dmworking View Post
    Many fashion tips
    Post of the week. Narrowly edging out KOTJ for the "pooshing" post.

I also wear through the grundle of jeans in about 4 or 5 months. Doesn't seem right. I need to check out the Costco thing.

Quote Originally Posted by haesesa View Post
    Post of the week. Narrowly edging out KOTJ for the "pooshing" post.
    Thanks, but I disagree. His is better. Especially the sly followup:

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Do you have mail address box? I can pay for poosh it into your male box yet I need coins to have the post man put the wet from his lips and let the tongue adhesive the flag of ten cents.
    Dying. LITERALLY DYING.

Holy fuck. Thanks. The shirt problem is real. Brooks brothers "slim fit" shirts are cut for what I can only imagine is a pregnant man.

I am going to try your costco recommendation. I have been buying upscale from paul simon company, usually Peter Milar. Crazy expensive for my pants shelf life.

I will try to cut down on the scissor kicks.

dmworking what about jeans?

First of all: FINALLY, a question in my wheelhouse. I work at an investment banking firm, and have 44" hips/seat to go along with my 32" waist. I struggled through my own journey of discovery to finally look presentable in a business setting, INCLUDING (I'm not proud of this) shopping for women's jeans. They didn't work. I'm excited for an opportunity to actually contribute more to this board than a snotty-but-accurate assessment of Kyle Schuant's poor business advice and the occasional jab at atb5161's CrossFit boner.
    You've got the booty the 70's big ladies are working for. Kudos.

No, you don't "have to buy pleated pants," unless there is a person literally holding you hostage at Macy's swiping your credit card on a pair of Dockers. Pleated pants are a scourge and a menace, and the only reason they seem to "fit" a person with larger...ahem...assets is because their futuristic design ensures that they fit everybody the same (that is, poorly). If you're a pants manufacturer catering to the mass market, you want to be able to put your pants on as many people as possible, so it doesn't help you to be more specific in your fit design. You'll notice the pleats are on the front of the pants, rather than in a position that would actually allow for increased volume or movement (like the seat or the thighs).
    Back in the day "futuristic" was a favorite euphemism for "incredibly gay" among a certain group of my friends.

First of all: FINALLY, a question in my wheelhouse. I work at an investment banking firm, and have 44" hips/seat to go along with my 32" waist. I struggled through my own journey of discovery to finally look presentable in a business setting, INCLUDING (I'm not proud of this) shopping for women's jeans. They didn't work. I'm excited for an opportunity to actually contribute more to this board than a snotty-but-accurate assessment of Kyle Schuant's poor business advice and the occasional jab at atb5161's CrossFit boner.

No, you don't "have to buy pleated pants," unless there is a person literally holding you hostage at Macy's swiping your credit card on a pair of Dockers. Pleated pants are a scourge and a menace, and the only reason they seem to "fit" a person with larger...ahem...assets is because their futuristic design ensures that they fit everybody the same (that is, poorly). If you're a pants manufacturer catering to the mass market, you want to be able to put your pants on as many people as possible, so it doesn't help you to be more specific in your fit design. You'll notice the pleats are on the front of the pants, rather than in a position that would actually allow for increased volume or movement (like the seat or the thighs).

Put simply, pleats are a lie, and a hideous one at that. The reason the flat fronts you've tried don't fit you is because they don't fit you, not because they're flat fronts. You're an excellent candidate for buying a pair of pants and having them fitted, since you're only taking them from a 38 down to a 36. If you had a bigger discrepancy, like say buying 36" pants to fit a 31" waist and some gargantuan thighs, well, you poor fuckers need to buy custom-fit pants or just wear a muumuu, I can't help you.

How do you get your pants tailored? Great question! I've had some success getting my pants tailored in two visits, instead of one. First visit I go and have the seat let out and the waist taken in, and tell them to NOT TOUCH THE GODDAMN HEMS. On the second visit, if the hip area has been accurately fitted, THEN I tell them to hem the bottoms (full break, obviously). I split it into two steps because whatever length they mark for the hem at the same time they're doing the top adjustments will NO LONGER BE THE RIGHT MARK after the adjustments are complete, and once your pant legs are too short, you're out of luck. I have had too many nice pairs of slacks ruined trying to do this all in one step. Life is too short to walk around in slacks that are too short, especially when your greater butt and thigh mass lifts the pant legs even higher when you walk and you end up looking like you're wearing highwaters to a client meeting.

3-4 months? Jesus Christ, what do you do in these pants? You said you work at a bank, are you working at a bank practicing scissor kicks for your synchronized swimming routine? My inner thighs haven't seen daylight since about 2011, and it takes me about a year to start seeing a threadbare grundle.

Beside the point. I'm here to help. I reinforce the grundle of my slacks after it starts to wear, but before it gets too threadbare to patch. Well, I don't, my tailor does. But for $10-15, it doubles the life of my slacks.

Also, what kind of slacks are you buying? I have a preferred brand, both for more casual khakis and for dressier wool slacks. Ready? Kirkland brand. FROM COSTCO. NO, I HAVEN'T LOST MY MIND. My tailor agrees that the quality of the material is comparable to the slacks I used to get during the Nordstrom half-yearly sale for ~$130, except at Costco, they only cost $49. And the khakis are something like $29. The difference is in the cost structure of developing and distributing the goods, as well as in the manufacturing tolerance of the creation of the pants--which you don't care about, because you're getting them tailored anyways! Trust me, this is an awesome deal.

BONUS UPPER BODY SECTION: Now that you're looking fly as hell in your $65-70 pants-plus-tailoring fitted flat-front dress slacks, you're gonna need a nice button-down to go with it. If you're like most athletes, you have a fairly large discrepancy between your shoulder/chest girth and your waist size, which is not reflected in the cut of most dress shirts. This means that if you're buying shirts with broad enough shoulders, you're left with an extra couple square feet of fabric around your waist that everyone seems to think they can just tuck into their pants. Spoiler alert: you can't.

Aside from buying tailored shirts, which are pretty expensive and I've never thought were worth the money, you can get shirts with a 5" drop (instead of the more standard 0-2") from Nordstrom Rack. They're either marketed as Nordstrom Trim Fit or Rack Trim Fit, and they run $25-30 for a shirt IDENTICAL to the shirts that go for $50-70 at a Nordstrom. You'd be amazed how much better of a fit you get from taking a few inches out of the waist of a shirt.
    I came.

Quoting solely to ensure existence of a backup in case your profile and posts are corrupted or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    dmworking what about jeans?
    Depends on the use and price range. If you're looking for a very nice pair of jeans to wear in a business setting, then you probably need to go the tailoring route again. I have had success with Lucky brand jeans (181 relaxed straight) for fit around my waist, seat, and thighs, but they're really unpredictable as far as both length and lower leg openings are concerned. I bought a pair that became my favorite jeans, and then I liked them so much, I ordered an identical pair online that after washing and wearing turned out to be about two inches longer and a leg opening about an inch and a half wider.

Of course, I also have embarrassingly small feet, so larger leg openings drown my shoes. Most normal adult males don't have this problem.

Also, don't buy Lucky jeans from the store for $120, buy them from Nordstrom Rack for $80-100 or at a Lucky store at an outlet mall for $40-60. All the same jeans.

If you're thinking more everyday wear or outdoor use jeans, I'm not the guy to ask. I have a pair of Kühl pants that I got at REI that fit me perfectly and are indestructible-- they come with extra room in the seat, thighs, and knees so you can actually move in them. They ran me about $60, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    You've got the booty the 70's big ladies are working for. Kudos.
    Thank you. It's easily my best feature.

starting strength coach development program
    Working, this is your SS masterpiece.

I mostly wear Adidas sweats and too-tight Lulu tops (yeah, Lulu, fuckfaces), but I'm going to buy a bunch of Kirkland pants to have tailored in 2 visits.

I was all, "I can't believe these perfectly tailored costco pants haven't been central players in my life til now".

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast