starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Chalk Bowl

Default Homemade Chalk Bowl

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I have all of you beat, my chalk bowl is a hub cap off of a 1965 Chevy Pick Up Truck.
    I'm not even sure I've seen a 1965 Chevy Pickup...sorry I'm a baby.

On the other hand, has anyone made this with an 8"x8" tamper? That's all I can find locally with a wooden handle...just wondering if it'll tip over like Hank Johnson's Guam.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    I'm not even sure I've seen a 1965 Chevy Pickup...sorry I'm a baby.

On the other hand, has anyone made this with an 8"x8" tamper? That's all I can find locally with a wooden handle...just wondering if it'll tip over like Hank Johnson's Guam.
    You'll be fine. If given the choice, 10x10 is better. In the absence of that option, 8x8 works fine.

Just got the Rogue Rapid Fire update email about their new chalk stand. How much punishment can your DIY solution handle, Cody?

Rogue Chalk Stand - Freestanding | Rogue Fitness
    Last edited by hollismb; 10-06-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Just the the Rogue Rapid Fire update email about their new chalk stand. How much punishment can your DIY solution handle, Cody?

Rogue Chalk Stand - Freestanding | Rogue Fitness
    Lulz. This is exactly the sort of overpriced contraption that makes me facepalm.

Mine will handle as much punishment as tamping a yard involves. Which is a damn chore. Literally, it's a chore, like painting the gutters or cutting grass. Is that stout enough to hold a bowl of near weightless chalk? Yes. Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Holy crap that's overbuilt.
    I think it's awesome. I want one, to be the centerpiece of our gym, right out in the middle, for everyone to see. It's even got hooks for your belts, you guys! And it rolls, so you don't have to worry about hurting your back by picking it up. My simple plastic container solution pales in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Here my gutters have gone unpainted for YEARS!
    To be fair, the Rogue one is pretty cool. I'd never buy it, but it is cool.
    Sure, but tigers are cool, too. So are rail cannons. Unfortunately, both are overpriced. Kind of like this chalk bowl. Let me say that again... Chalk bowl. A fucking bowl for chalk that costs as much as a week of groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Sure, but tigers are cool, too. So are rail cannons. Unfortunately, both are overpriced. Kind of like this chalk bowl. Let me say that again... Chalk bowl. A fucking bowl for chalk that costs as much as a week of groceries.
    Yeah, but how much should I be willing to pay for a tiger in decent condition on craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, but how much should I be willing to pay for a tiger in decent condition on craigslist?
    Aaaahhh, got me! Good on ya.

There is another thread where a trainer needs to tell his trainees, who are apparently intermediate lifters, how much weight to use during warmups, and how to share. I can see how a gym could possibly be in the market for something to hold their chalk beyond a plastic 5gal bucket.
    You could get them all their very own 5 gal bucket and block of chalk, and still come out ahead.

To be fair, if I were outfitting a gym full of idiots and was going to provide chalk, this thing isn't that big of an expense, and should last a very long time. For home use, it's fucking retarded.
    This is generally why commercial products are overbuilt to begin with. That said, the only people I see buying this (or something like it) are kool aid drinking xfitters/boxes and high school/collegiate football weight rooms.

Seems like a big enough market to me.
    Yeah. The value just isn't there, man. It's a stick of steel with a base on it and a bowl. That's it. $75, tops.

Here's one for $60.

Chalk Bowl Stand Holder for Strength Training - Gymnastics - CrossFit | Equipment RAW

This is $85.
    Chalk Bowl Stand + Chalk Block Get RXd

The ones they use for gymnastics are much nicer than just an open bowl. I'd get one like that if I was spending actual money on something.

starting strength coach development program
    To be fair, if I were outfitting a gym full of idiots and was going to provide chalk, this thing isn't that big of an expense, and should last a very long time. For home use, it's fucking retarded.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast