starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to reach a goal by dec 1st. I"d like a suggestion.

Default I'd like to reach a goal by dec 1st. I"d like a suggestion.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dec 1st goal. 230 by 10 or 3s5 or 5x5.

Last completed workout 225x2x5. I couldn't get the third safely workout out alone. 220x3x5. One workout between now and the goal reaching day. Friday should i 225 x5x5. Or should i try 230 3x5 Friday.

225lb 3 sets of 5 reps.

Can you hit 225lb 5x5? Better question, why would you want to?

Default A suggestion or else !!

Last edited by Meshuggah; 11-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    I couldn't get the third safely workout out alone
    Did someone try to stab you?

Didn't take that advice to run a linear progression, eh?

Last edited by hollismb; 11-25-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Dec 1st goal. 230 by 10 or 3s5 or 5x5.

Last completed workout 225x2x5. I couldn't get the third safely workout out alone. 220x3x5. One workout between now and the goal reaching day. Friday should i 225 x5x5. Or should i try 230 3x5 Friday.
    This does not make a lot of sense to me unless you are mixing up your notations. When you say 225x2x5, do you mean 2 reps x 5 sets as stated, or do you mean 2 sets of 5, which would be 225x5x2? Also, 220x3x5 means you did 220 lbs for 3 reps for 5 sets. Or did you mean you did 220x5x3? Followed by 225x5x2? Because this makes more sense. If you have indeed mixed and matched your notations, generally it is weight x reps x sets, i.e. 225x5x2, or you could say 225 2x5, which would also mean 2 sets of 5.

To answer your question, I don't really see that you need to make a huge deal about what you lift in 4 days....what matters is how you train in general. You should either be doing 3x5 or 5x5. Decide how you want to train and then progress accordingly. If you are attempting 3x5(3 sets of 5), you should not do 2x5 then quit because you feel you might not get the last set. It would be better to do 225x5, 5, 4. Then you know how close you were and can repeat, hopefully getting 3x5 then next time. Then add weight. Also, if you are at the point where you are missing sets and reps, why are you making 5 lb jumps? How much rest are you taking between sets? Have you read the book? I ask because these are really basic tenets for anyone remotely following the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    This does not make a lot of sense to me unless you are mixing up your notations. When you say 225x2x5, do you mean 2 reps x 5 sets as stated, or do you mean 2 sets of 5, which would be 225x5x2? Also, 220x3x5 means you did 220 lbs for 3 reps for 5 sets. Or did you mean you did 220x5x3? Followed by 225x5x2? Because this makes more sense. If you have indeed mixed and matched your notations, generally it is weight x reps x sets, i.e. 225x5x2, or you could say 225 2x5, which would also mean 2 sets of 5.

To answer your question, I don't really see that you need to make a huge deal about what you lift in 4 days....what matters is how you train in general. You should either be doing 3x5 or 5x5. Decide how you want to train and then progress accordingly. If you are attempting 3x5(3 sets of 5), you should not do 2x5 then quit because you feel you might not get the last set. It would be better to do 225x5, 5, 4. Then you know how close you were and can repeat, hopefully getting 3x5 then next time. Then add weight. Also, if you are at the point where you are missing sets and reps, why are you making 5 lb jumps? How much rest are you taking between sets? Have you read the book? I ask because these are really basic tenets for anyone remotely following the program.
    My last workout was 225 two sets of 5 followed by 220 three sets of 5. I respect what you said about general training habits i still set goals. I read the book like two years ago. I'm only doing the bench press until i regain strength and grow some size so I'm better per-portioned. When school ends in December I'll have about a month to add in the more exhausting lifts with out it slowing me down though out the week where i have other time sensitive things to do

A little more volume builds a little more size. Thats my focus right now. I need a bigger upper body. I'm benching, when i get to the strength i left LP i'll add pressing, when i'm ready i'll add the squats and or deadlifts.

A little more volume builds a little more size. Thats my focus right now. I need a bigger upper body. I'm benching, when i get to the strength i left LP i'll add pressing, when i'm ready i'll add the squats and or deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are able to press 230 for reps by December 1 from 225 this week, do you honestly think your "size" is going to be appreciably noticeably different in less than a week?

If you do, it's bro-science at its worst.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast