starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How the hell do some ppls workouts last 45-60 min?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    Yes. Because you're an old fart, and old farts are far more volume-sensitive. For intermediate/advance lifters in the younger age range who can handle a lot more volume, they simply can't get in enough sets, warmup, and adequate rest in just 1 hour unless their training frequency is >7 sessions/week.

Oh wait... Louie said you need to keep every training session to <1:00, so that must be right...
    Yeah, I'm starting to fart dust, but I'm still going to deadlift more than you by the end of the year sonny.
    You are a Louie fan?

3 hours today

OHP
    Conv.Deadlift
    Power Jerks from Rack
    Snatches

Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    I rest 5-7min per every set, including warm up sets. I guess I can halve the rest between warm up sets as a novice.
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    Are you serious?
    are you serious?

#1-everyone told him to just blast thru his warm ups

#2- work sets, yes, 5-8 minutes . . . if you were doing heavy weight for 5's over a full ROM, etc.etc.etc . . . . you would need several minutes for ATP recharge. . .but you wouldn't know that.
    I thought you knew a lot about training? (your own words)

Even some of your stupid plyometric Russian texts elude to the same shit .. . . 3-5 minute rest for box jumps, depth jumps, drop . . . for ATP/CNS to refresh

D.Y.E.V.

(Verkhoshansky)

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    are you serious?

#1-everyone told him to just blast thru his warm ups

#2- work sets, yes, 5-8 minutes . . . if you were doing heavy weight for 5's over a full ROM, etc.etc.etc . . . . you would need several minutes for ATP recharge. . .but you wouldn't know that.
    I thought you knew a lot about training? (your own words)

Even some of your stupid plyometric Russian texts elude to the same shit .. . . 3-5 minute rest for box jumps, depth jumps, drop . . . for ATP/CNS to refresh

D.Y.E.V.

(Verkhoshansky)
    I was under the impression that 3-5 minutes was the normative rest period, not 5-7 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I was under the impression that 3-5 minutes was the normative rest period, not 5-7 minutes.
    I think The Book might actually say 6-10.
    MAybe a rank novice using still trying to figure out form, etc, light weights . . . 4?
    A guy doing 455 5x5 maybe 10-12

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig23 View Post
    Haha. This is so true it's funny. I've taken a good few minutes to psyche myself up before (I recall 20mins rest time between 4th and 5th set, so that's completely mental reason).

Let me get this straight:
    1) Are you really pressed for time? I meant we wasted a lot of time elsewhere, on this board for example, so half an hour sometimes doesn't matter that much.

2) Is it worth it to have more rest time? It is for me, cuz psychological stuff. If I superset my bench with squat AND try to get a 5-mins inbetween sets on squat then I may save a lot of time, but I don't really think I can do that, or do that without compromising the quality of the workout.

3) Are you being efficient with your time? It maybe that you take more time than needed. Too much chatting, too much psyche up, too much rest, what others have said, I don't have much to add.

Very interesting that some of you geezers mention about taking more years to get to your goal, but you don't care, or splitting. This begs the question that do you really save time, in the end, or just merely spreading the time taken from one year/one workout to another.
    For me, weightlifting / strength training is a hobby, not much different than building plastic car models. I could probably stand to be more efficient in terms of time, but at what cost? How much would something else have to give? I'm not going to request additional time from my wife who is a stay-at-home-mom who has been watching twin toddlers all day. "Honey, I'm going to go out and lift in the garage for a couple hours - would you mind watching the kids some more? K, thanks!" Or "Hey, I'm going down in the basement to work on my diorama of WWII tanks!"

When goals are achieved really doesn't matter to me. I have a great deal of fun lifting weights, reading about lifting weights, reading about people who have lifted weights, etc. It is pretty safe to say I'm addicted. When I hit one goal, another pops up - it isn't as if everything falls apart at that time. Does it REALLY matter (as an amateur hobbyist) when I achieve those goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    For me, weightlifting / strength training is a hobby, not much different than building plastic car models. I could probably stand to be more efficient in terms of time, but at what cost? How much would something else have to give? I'm not going to request additional time from my wife who is a stay-at-home-mom who has been watching twin toddlers all day. "Honey, I'm going to go out and lift in the garage for a couple hours - would you mind watching the kids some more? K, thanks!" Or "Hey, I'm going down in the basement to work on my diorama of WWII tanks!"

When goals are achieved really doesn't matter to me. I have a great deal of fun lifting weights, reading about lifting weights, reading about people who have lifted weights, etc. It is pretty safe to say I'm addicted. When I hit one goal, another pops up - it isn't as if everything falls apart at that time. Does it REALLY matter (as an amateur hobbyist) when I achieve those goals?
    This is a good point.

We have to remember that for the vast majority of people, managing compromises is the expected norm, not the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    This is a good point.

We have to remember that for the vast majority of people, managing compromises is the expected norm, not the exception.
    It's all about striving towards a goal while managing compromises, expectations, and relations.

starting strength coach development program
    My workouts have never been less than an hour and a half. Never. Partly because of a crowded gym where i had to share the rack and particularly, the bench.

Once my incurable LPR/ costochondritis set in, it is never less than 2.5 hours. Squatting anything over 160 kilos requires 10-15 minutes of rest, and if it is a particularly bad day- about 25.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456