starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valsalva and popping blood vessels

Default Valsalva and popping blood vessels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A little background: I'm 39, 295lb, 6'2" and I've been through 5 or 6 SS LP runs in the past 3 years. On each run I get to 300-320 lb for 3x5 on the squat and 350-360 for 1x5 on the deadlift (no belt). Work, travel and jiu-jitsu get in the way of further progress and more advanced programming. I just reset and start LP again when I return to the gym.

In the past year I've been getting these red streaks under my eyes after lifting. In the past months my eyelids have also been affected, with half of the eyelid area turning red. There are a few other threads on this where it's referred to as petechia. No big deal it seems, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to stop looking like I have scurvy. Should I take less of a big breath before lifting? I've changed from closed to open mouth to make sure the air stops at the glottis but the problem persists. I take four or five deep breaths before the work sets since it helps alleviate that about-to-faint feeling I sometimes get, especially after deadlifts. I also get more burst capillaries after deadlifts.

I'm wondering if this is age related. I recently got the same symptoms after resisting a rear-naked choke in jiu-jitsu, which has never happened in my 15 years of sparring. I guess it could also be that the capillaries were already messed up from lifting and that it flared up due to the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by sika View Post
    In the past year I've been getting these red streaks under my eyes after lifting. In the past months my eyelids have also been affected, with half of the eyelid area turning red.
    Some capillary bursting is normal. It goes away over time, as the weak capillaries get replaced by stronger ones. Half of the eyelid turning red is a little extreme, though.

I take four or five deep breaths before the work sets since it helps alleviate that about-to-faint feeling I sometimes get, especially after deadlifts.
    Feeling like you're about to faint after deadlifting isn't normal. That feeling comes from a very quick drop in blood pressure, and can be alleviated by bouncing up and down to slow the blood pressure drop. Are you doing something strange like dropping the bar?

This fainting feeling isn't a big deal I think. I get it sometimes when I get up from the couch too.

So there's nothing I should change, like taking a shallower breath before each rep? Wearing a belt for deadlifts?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

So there's nothing I should change, like taking a shallower breath before each rep? Wearing a belt for deadlifts?
    Wearing a belt would increase blood pressure, but you should probably be wearing a belt anyway.

I don't know if you should change anything. I think it's possible that you might be doing something odd. Could you post a video of a typical set of deadlifts?

My most recent video is two years old. I'll film a set on thursday. I blow capillaries on squats too though, so I don't know how much technique is at fault.

are you 100% sure you are holding your valsalva at the glottis and not at your mouth?

Also: I once gave myself a black eye squatting - had a blocked duct in one eyelid and it burst during a volume day giving me a nice shiner

I'm wondering if this is age related. I recently got the same symptoms after resisting a rear-naked choke in jiu-jitsu, which has never happened in my 15 years of sparring. I guess it could also be that the capillaries were already messed up from lifting and that it flared up due to the choke.
    Rear naked choke closes up your neck arteries, but what you're feeling from lifting sounds more like blood pressure changes.

Then again, you were probably doing a valsalva to resist that rear naked choke (holding your breath and bracing really tight, or attempting to pull your opponent's arms off your neck. Same result: blood pressure spike and then drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    are you 100% sure you are holding your valsalva at the glottis and not at your mouth?

Also: I once gave myself a black eye squatting - had a blocked duct in one eyelid and it burst during a volume day giving me a nice shiner
    I'm pretty sure. I clench my teeth and make a big grin, kinda like Arnold in Total Recall.

I'm pretty sure. I clench my teeth and make a big grin, kinda like Arnold in Total Recall.
    There are three places you can hold air: the glottis (vocal cords) the pharynx (back of throat) and the lips. Showing your teeth will obviously prevent holding your air at the lips, but you could still be holding air at the pharynx. If the valsalva feels different when you open your mouth wide and stick out your tongue your are probably holding it at the pharynx, which will increase the risk of capillary rupture.

starting strength coach development program
    Aha, I never thought about that. I'll keep it in mind when I train tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast