starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: high blood pressure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    You might also have run into a nurse at the eye doc who used the large cuff, instead of the "normal". A 15" bicep is pretty common around here, and is over the line (12") for the big cuff.
    Ah ha! good point. I'll have to watch for that in the future. I'll also have to measure my biceps.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Chris View Post
    Not sure how serious you are, but I think other factors, i.e. coffee, stress level, and as other posters mentioned, cuff size, have more to do with the blood pressure reading difference than deadlifting. My blood pressure has gone from normal to borderline as my deadlift went up significantly, with minimal weight gain (net 15 lbs over 4 years), but increased coffee intake and stress.
    I'd like to think I'm at least as serious as you, but it's hard to be sure without a good sample size and a control group. All I can do is report the facts I know, and maybe learn the multi-quote function.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    Who is Hans Selye and how does it help me to ask the cardiologist about him?

I'm 17 so if i show him the study, he will say it doesn't apply to me because all the people in the study are adults. I don't smoke and don't drink.

I went to my regular doc for a general controll. He heard some sound from my heart and sent me to the cardiologist. The cardiologist said my heart is fine but my BP too high.

I really need a solid way to prove the cardiologist wrong. Otherwise my parents won't allow me to lift anymore.
    My first thought is that given the circumstances, your BP was elevated to a predictable degree (although that explains less well the elevated DBP). The consistency of this elevation even with your home measurement argues against that somewhat, but I am extremely dubious of digital readers. I have seen numerous instances in which one that was reasonably accurate in most people just did not work for certain people. Basically, I am skeptical of most measures of BP.

As for the Dr's interpretation of your problem, the idea that RT produces hypertension is not as flawed as many here think. But if it is flawed it not because of an inaccurate application of Seyle's GAS, but because of a misunderstanding of the adaptations that occur. A thicker Left Ventricle is less compliant, is therefore harder to fill and a backwards process of increased pressure throughout the system occurs to achieve that LV filling. The result is increased systemic BP. The issue is whether RT meaningfully and sufficiently increases LV thickness in this way, and whether it does so in ways that the other adaptations do not mitigate against. I am pretty confident that it doesnt, but even if it did, it would not be the explanation of hypertension in a 17 year old a few months into training.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    You might also have run into a nurse at the eye doc who used the large cuff, instead of the "normal". A 15" bicep is pretty common around here, and is over the line (12") for the big cuff.
    True story - the larger cuffs are considerably harder to inflate. I have seen many technicians (be them nurses or something else) who have known they should use a large cuff and elected not to because it is too hard to use. Result = a shitty measurement.
    Last edited by LimieJosh; 07-18-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234