starting strength gym

Thread: If heavy day just plain sucks...

Default If heavy day just plain sucks...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And for some reason (recovery, mental, alignment of moon with Lake Michigan...) it just ain't happening after the first little bit, would you still do L and M days as planned, or try and get a slightly better workout out of the "L" day since there's less to recover from on the previous session?

Do L and M as planned. H day may have just been a shitty, off day.

Next week either repeat H or go up as you would have.

Definitely a "shitty, off day," no question about it. Was going for two triples, very surprised to find myself fail rep two of the first set and that just threw everything off. Did a handful of random singles and doubles, attempted (and failed) a very heavy single, then said "fuck it" for the day, packed up and left. Just wasn't feeling it.

Today I'm feeling it and part of me wants to throw in some heavies (or mediums) today, but don't want to throw off next week.

I'd do the day's session as planned and maybe do a heavy single or two depending on how you feel, but I wouldn't throw the week off.

ah hate those days. Squat is extremely mental for me. I "feel" like I can tell how the day will go based upon my warm up set with the empty bar. The downside is that feelings can be wrong. Currently trying to quit putting so much stock in how I feel during warmups.

WRT your problem. I think Lex's suggestion is a good one. I would probably do a heavy-ish single or two that won't kill your recovery for the next week just so you have some exposure to the weights you otherwise missed from a crappy heavy day.

Ended up just doing light day as planned, with the exception of adding 5 to the squat and 15 to the DL, mostly since 275 is easier to load, lol.

Decided against the singles since I still got 1x340, 1x335 and 3x315 on Monday; I just didn't get the 2x3x340 I'd been gunning for (skipped associated back-offs, too). Or the 365 single I attempted at the end for stupidity's sake...

What I really want to avoid is any kind of failure on M day on Friday, since that'll really fuck with my head, hence ultimately not trying to do any "make up" work today.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    What I really want to avoid is any kind of failure on M day on Friday, since that'll really fuck with my head, hence ultimately not trying to do any "make up" work today.
    Good thinking.